Friday, June 1, 2018

The Jam - Going Underground - Non-Album Tracks (1980-1981)

As I mentioned in my previous post of a Jam album, I was able to gather up all of the Jam's stray tracks and make three albums from them. This is the second one, covering 1980 and 1981.

Like the last Jam album I made, this is high quality stuff, with some of the greatest songs of all time on it, such as "Going Underground."

Archival releases of Jam material has been very thorough. Not only was there a five disc box set that included just about everything they did, but there have been deluxe or even super deluxe versions of all their albums. Despite that, I've included two songs in excellent sound quality that still remain unreleased, both covers: "My Mind's Eye," and "Give Me Just a Little More Time".

The Jam released studio albums in 1980 and 1982, but not 1981. Most of the songs here are from 1981, so you can basically think of this as their 1981 album that should have been. A lot of the songs here turn out to be covers (tracks 3, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, and 19).

This album is 53 minutes long.

UPDATE: On October 29, 2022, I updated the mp3 download file. I added three cover versions I'd previous missed: "Big Bird," "Stand by Me," and "Waterloo Sunset."

01 Going Underground (Jam)
02 The Dreams of Children (Jam)
03 Rain (Jam)
04 Liza Radley (Jam)
05 My Mind's Eye (Jam)
06 And Your Bird Can Sing (Jam)
07 Stand by Me (Jam)
08 Funeral Pyre (Jam)
09 Disguises (Jam)
10 Absolute Beginners (Jam)
11 Tales from the Riverbank (Jam)
12 Get Yourself Together (Jam)
13 Big Bird (Jam)
14 Pop Art Poem (Jam)
15 Every Little Bit Hurts (Jam)
16 Walking in Heaven's Sunshine (Jam)
17 Sweet Soul Music (Jam)
18 Give Me Just a Little More Time (Jam)
19 Waterloo Sunset [Demo] (Jam)

https://www.imagenetz.de/bnipj

The cover is based on the cover of the "Going Underground" single. Most versions of that cover art were of a bad picture, in my opinion, but luckily I found a rare version that looks much better. I hardly changed a thing for this one, except to increase the contrast to make it more black instead of a bland dark grey.

1 comment: