Thursday, June 14, 2018

Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's Blues - Non-Album Tracks (1962)

Yesterday, I posted a Bob Dylan album of stray tracks from around the time of his first album, the one simply called "Bob Dylan" that was released in early 1962. This leaves me with the problem of what to put on the next album of stray tracks, because he recorded a TON of songs before releasing "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" in 1963.

Luckily, there's a perfect solution for my problem, because just one month after "Bob Dylan" was released, Dylan was back in the studio, and he recorded an album's worth of new material. By the time "Freewheelin'" finally would get released, these songs would be old hat to him, so none of them would make it on that album. Furthermore, there even was a planned title for this album: "Bob Dylan's Blues."

So all I had to do was gather up the songs from the best available sources and put them together in roughly the order they were recorded over a several day period. And that was made easy for me too, because all the songs that hadn't been officially released already were released on an obscure album put out a few years ago called "The 50th Anniversary Collection: The Copyright Extension Collection, Volume I." As you can tell from the title, it was released in a very limited number just to make sure the record company would keep legal rights to the copyrights for each of the song performances (which is a problem for them in Europe). In some cases, there were multiple takes of the same songs, so I had to pick the best takes.

Dylan was writing more of his own songs, but he still wasn't confident enough to give up on doing covers. Five of the 12 songs on this album were written by somebody else:

[I Heard That] Lonesome Whistle
Baby, Please Don't Go
Wichita Blues [Going to Louisiana]
Going to New Orleans
Milk Cow [Calf's] Blues

Here's the full tracklist:

01 Let Me Die in My Footsteps (Bob Dylan)
02 Rambling Gambling Willie (Bob Dylan)
03 Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues (Bob Dylan)
04 The Death of Emmett Till (Bob Dylan)
05 [I Heard That] Lonesome Whistle (Bob Dylan)
06 Sally Gal (Bob Dylan)
07 Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues (Bob Dylan)
08 Rocks and Gravel [Solid Road] (Bob Dylan)
09 Baby, Please Don't Go (Bob Dylan)
10 Wichita Blues [Going to Louisiana] (Bob Dylan)
11 Going to New Orleans (Bob Dylan)
12 Milk Cow [Calf's] Blues (Bob Dylan)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15105597/BobD_1962d_BbDylnsBlues_atse.zip.html


I was surprised at how few color photos I could find of Dylan from before 1964 or even 1965. This photo I used appears to be from the same photo session as the photo I used for the earlier 1962 Dylan album I posted here. I removed the yellow couch he was sitting on to make the similarity less obvious.

5 comments:

  1. I have an idea for a Beck album - Sea Change acoustic. Sea Change with no production, just vocals and acoustic guitar. I did most of it from various live performances, but some tracks are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting idea. Actually, I've already done something like that, but an all acoustic version of Mutations (my favorite Beck album). I haven't posted it here yet though, in part because there's a ton of stuff I just haven't gotten around to posting yet, but also because some of the songs aren't in the greatest sound and/or performance quality, and I'm hopeful I'll be able to find better. I think I found all the songs, except for one he's never done live acoustically (Diamond Bullocks).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, but your set list is all wrong.
      Summer Days,
      Watching the River Flow,
      One More Weekend,
      Lonesome Day Blues,
      Living The Blues,
      I Threw It All Away,
      It;s All Over Now,
      Tomorrow is a Long TIme
      Red RIver Shore

      Delete