Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Kinks - BBC Sessions, Volume 3: 1970-1973

In 2001, the Kinks issued a four CD box set of their BBC performances called "At the BBC." I've already posted two volumes of my version. This is the third volume, with many more to come.

As I've expressed forcefully before, my main beef with the official box set is how the BBC DJs have a tendency of talking over the start and finish to some songs. That was the case here also, so I have fixed all such instances.

Additionally, I found six performances that were worthy of inclusion. One of them is actually just from a concert, a 1971 version of "Mr. Pleasant." But I found it the only worthy performance from an otherwise middling sounding concert recording, so I've added it here. It's unusual to begin with because it was a song that the Kinks probably never performed in concert except for this one time. And the reason for that is the complicated piano part that was essential to the song. But somehow some random person befriended the Kinks before the show, convinced them they were a talented piano player who knew how to play the song well, and then proceeded to do a flawless job on stage with the band, with no rehearsal time at all.

So that's pretty cool. (As usual, I cut out the audience noise as best I could.) On the downside, the band also tried to play "Autumn Almanac" at the same show with that piano player. And while the pianist did fine, Ray Davies obviously hadn't sung the song in a long while and badly mangled the vocals to the musically complicated song, so I didn't include that here as well.

Another song I added, "You're Looking Fine," is from the Beat Club, a German TV show. Although this is a collection of BBC performances, I don't see why I shouldn't include something from another TV show, if it's of the same sound quality.

Additionally, I added four more songs from a 1972 appearance on the BBC. I have no idea why these songs didn't make the box set, since there's no doubt it was the Kinks on the BBC. I could have included more songs from that (as well as the Beat Club) but I didn't want to duplicate songs elsewhere on the album.

01 Lola [Recorded Version with New Vocals] (Kinks)
02 Mindless Child of Motherhood (Kinks)
03 Days [Recorded Version with New Vocals] (Kinks)
04 Apeman (Kinks)
05 Mr. Pleasant (Kinks)
06 Victoria (Kinks)
07 Good Golly, Miss Molly (Kinks)
08 Waterloo Sunset (Kinks)
09 The Village Green Preservation Society (Kinks)
10 You're Looking Fine (Kinks)
11 Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues (Kinks)
12 Holiday (Kinks)
13 Skin and Bone (Kinks)
14 Supersonic Rocket Ship (Kinks)
15 Here Comes Yet Another Day (Kinks)

https://www.imagenetz.de/ajKUA

Like the other albums in this series, I used the basic design of the cover of the "At the BBC" box set, but changed the picture of the Kinks to match the years of the music. Then I added a photo of the group from Roskilde, Denmark, in 1972. (Note that the band became a five-piece in the middle of 1970). I also changed the background colors so each volume in the series can be easily distinguished from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment