NOTE: Before I say anything about this album, I found a short set of the Dynatones at this concert, and I added it to Part 1. Thanks to the anonymous e-mailer who told me that could be found on YouTube, just buried really deep.
Here's the link, if you want to download that one again:
https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2026/08/earthquake-relief-benefit-cow-palace.html
Here is the sixth and last part of the 1989 Earthquake Relief
Benefit concert at the Cow Palace, in Daly City. But note the Cow Palace show was just one of three held in the area on that same night, so there's a lot more of this concert to come. This album is a jam session featuring a mix of performers from earlier sets that evening. I called it "All-Star Jam with Steve Miller" because Miller definitely dominates, singing most of the songs. It's practically like a second Miller set, with some guest stars helping him out, but with him doing almost all blues and soul cover versions.
I have to admit that I don't know for sure who took part in this jam session. One can clearly see Miller, Neil Young, and Norton Buffalo on the cover image I chose, and one can hear them as well. I also can easily make out the sound of the vocals of Taj Mahal and Bonnie Raitt, especially on "Wang Dang Doodle." Both of them performed at a different concert that was part of this benefit in Oakland. So they must have rushed across the San Francisco Bay to make it here in time. Miller introduced the Chambers Brothers right before "In the Midnight Hour," asking them to help sing it, so clearly they were on this as well.
Additionally, according to setlist.fm, Carlos Santana, Maria Muldaur, John Kahn, and the Dynatones were said to take part too, as well as others. Carlos Santana would have been a challenge, since Santana played a big concert as part of this benefit at some point on this same day in Watsonville, California. That's an hour and a half away, without traffic. Perhaps that Watsonville concert ended earlier and he hightailed it to this concert, I don't know. If you can hear his distinctive lead guitar work, please let me know.
Video footage on YouTube exists of nearly all of this concert. Watching that could confirm who took part in this section of the show. However, I couldn't find any video from this portion.
This album is 50 minutes long.
01 Wang Dang Doodle (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
02 I Wanna Be Loved [But by Only You] (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
03 Lucille (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
04 Baby What You Want Me to Do (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
05 Underneath the Silvery Moon (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
06 Space Cowboy (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
07 talk (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
08 In the Midnight Hour (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
09 Boogie Chillen (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
10 It Takes Good Lovin' (Steve Miller & the All-Star Jam)
11 talk (Steve Miller)
12 talk (Bill Graham)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/9cCGPUuv
alternate:
https://bestfile.io/en/1kf3t2mHe7ljVgM/file
The cover image is from this exact concert. From right to left: Steve Miller, Neil Young, and Norton Buffalo. The original was in black and white, but I colorized it. I found another photo from this portion of the concert. I chose not to use it, but it showed Miller and Young in color. So I made sure the colors used in the colorization matched with that other photo.

Obrigado!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
ReplyDelete