I'm a big fan of the music of Michael Hedges. I think he was a great guitarist, but also very underrated as a singer. I'm surprised this is the first time I'm posting any music from him. I'll have to post more from him soon. He died far too young in 1997, due to a motorcycle accident.
Anyway, you know who else was a big fan of Hedges' music at this time? Crosby, Stills and Nash. Spoiler alert: the third and final part of this concert is a Crosby, Stills and Nash set. I figure they had their choice of opening acts, and chose Hedges. You can hear them go out of their way to compliment him in some of their banter between songs, showing just how much they were trying to boost him. In particular, there was a natural affinity between the music of Crosby and Hedges, since they both preferred to write weird songs with weird guitar tunings.
Note that, in Part 1, all the musical acts performed in the United Nations waiting room, a lobby just outside the General Assembly room. The crowd in that part of the concert was relatively small, as you could hear from the amount of cheering at the ends of songs. But for the Hedges and Crosby, Stills and Nash sets, they apparently played inside the General Assembly room itself, to a much larger audience.
The sound quality of this set is excellent, because it was broadcast on a local radio station. However, since this was a fundraising "radiothon," a DJ tended to speak during the applause in between the songs to remind the audience to donate money and so forth. I cut all that out. But that also meant the applause was often cut off. I managed to patch in more applause so the transitions between songs sound natural (I hope). There might be a little bit of his banter that got cut off, I don't know.
Note that most of the songs here are original instrumentals, done solo acoustic. However, he did include two covers of famous songs, "Pinball Wizard" and "She Drives Me Crazy," plus one original with vocals, "Woman of the World."
This album is 35 minutes long.
31 talk by emcee (Michael Hedges)
32 Pinball Wizard (Michael Hedges)
33 talk (Michael Hedges)
34 Rickover's Dream [Instrumental] (Michael Hedges)
35 talk (Michael Hedges)
36 Ritual Dance [Instrumental] (Michael Hedges)
37 talk (Michael Hedges)
38 She Drives Me Crazy (Michael Hedges)
39 Aerial Boundaries [Instrumental] (Michael Hedges)
40 talk (Michael Hedges)
41 The Rootwitch [Instrumental] (Michael Hedges)
42 Woman of the World (Michael Hedges)
43 talk (Michael Hedges)
44 Silent Anticipations [Instrumental] (Michael Hedges)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/e4Qkzvn5
alternate:
https://bestfile.io/tLh5IFq39cEcGql/file
As I mentioned in my write-up for Part 1, I couldn't find any photos of any of the musical acts performing at this concert. I could have used a photo of Michael Hedges from a different concert instead. However, I have artwork for the Part 1 and Part 3 covers, so I thought a different kind of cover was called for here as well. Since the concert took place inside the famous U.N. General Assembly, I decided to use a photo of that.

No comments:
Post a Comment