Thursday, December 21, 2023

Paul Weller - BBC Sessions, Volume 4: In Concert, Phoenix Festival, Long Marston Airfield, Stratford-upon-Avon, Britain, 7-13-1995

I got so carried away posting BBC albums from other artists that I forgot I'd started posting a series of BBC albums from Paul Weller's solo career. But I've remembered, and now here's another one. There are many more to come.

This is another full BBC concert. Many BBC concerts were released on the box set "At the BBC." I've decided some of them are too similar to others for me to want to post them all here. Some of them also are shortened concerts, edited down to an hour or less. I'm trying to post the full-length concerts. The last one I did was from 1994. This one is just a year later. But in the meantime, he released his best selling solo album, "Stanley Road," so I think that's good reason for another concert here.

At first, I assumed this would be very straightforward, I would just post the concert from the "At the BBC" box set. But it turned out to be much more difficult than that. Listening to the concert from that box set again, I realized that there was absolutely no banter between songs whatsoever. And while Weller isn't the most loquacious person in the world, I figured he would at least say some things. 

So I found a soundboard bootleg of this exact same concert before the box set was released and I discovered that indeed there was some banter here and there. Thus, I kept the music from the box set version, figuring it's probably of slightly better sound quality (although both versions sounded the same to me). But I took all the bits of banter between songs that I could find and I pasted them in. So this combined version is arguably better than either the bootleg or box set versions. However, note that the bootleg version was missing four songs, so it could be there were some bits of banter before those songs that I missed.

Noel Gallagher, the lead guitarist and primary songwriter for the British band Oasis, joined Weller for the final encore. Gallagher was extremely popular at this time, which was at the height of the "Britpop" movement. The second Oasis studio album "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" wouldn't get released until October 1995. But Weller and Gallagher played a song off it, kind of, an instrumental called "The Swamp Song." I say "kind of" because it was broken into two unnamed snippets of less than a minute each for the album. The full version was released as a B-side to the big hit "Wonderwall." On the recorded version, Weller played harmonica while Gallagher wailed on lead guitar, so that's what they did in this concert version as well.

After that, Gallagher also stayed for the final song, "I Walk on Gilded Splinters." That was originally done by Dr. John, but Weller did a version for his "Stanley Road" album.

This album is an hour and 21 minutes long.

01 talk (Paul Weller)
02 The Changingman (Paul Weller)
03 Hung Up (Paul Weller)
04 talk (Paul Weller)
05 Has My Fire Really Gone Out (Paul Weller)
06 Whirlpools' End (Paul Weller)
07 talk (Paul Weller)
08 Uh Huh Oh Yeh (Paul Weller)
09 Out of the Sinking (Paul Weller)
10 I Didn't Mean to Hurt You (Paul Weller)
11 Porcelain Gods (Paul Weller)
12 talk (Paul Weller)
13 Stanley Road (Paul Weller)
14 You Do Something to Me (Paul Weller)
15 Can You Heal Us [Holy Man] (Paul Weller)
16 talk (Paul Weller)
17 Shadow of the Sun (Paul Weller)
18 Sunflower (Paul Weller)
19 talk (Paul Weller)
20 Into Tomorrow (Paul Weller)
21 talk (Paul Weller)
22 Broken Stones (Paul Weller)
23 talk (Paul Weller)
24 Woodcutter's Son (Paul Weller)
25 talk (Paul Weller)
26 The Swamp Song [Instrumental] (Paul Weller & Noel Gallagher)
27 I Walk on Gilded Splinters (Paul Weller & Noel Gallagher)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16075952/PaulW_1995_BBSessonsVolum4InConcrtPhoenxFestivlStratfrdupnAvnBrtain__7-13-1995_atse.zip.html

The cover photo of Weller comes from an appearance on the TV show "White Room" in 1995. By coincidence, Gallagher also played with Weller during that appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment