Sunday, December 17, 2023

Marshall Crenshaw - The Human Jukebox, Volume 5: 1995-2000

Here's another all cover songs album performed by Marshall Crenshaw. You don't have to be a fan of his original material to enjoy his covers of lots of different styles of music, often doing obscure gems.

On this volume in particular, Crenshaw digs deeper into the obscurities than on previous volumes. There are a few classic hits covered here, but only a few. By the way, the song "'Til I Hear It from You" isn't exactly a cover song. This was a big hit for the Gin Blossoms in 1995. But Crenshaw actually co-wrote, though he never recorded his own version on any album. So I thought it would be interesting to include that too.

This album is 47 minutes long.

This is a list of the original artists for each song:

01 Don't Forget Me - Harry Nilsson
02 Wanda and Duane - Dave Alvin
03 All or Nothin' at All - Bruce Springsteen
04 Sock It to Me, Santa - Bob Seger
05 I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone - Elvis Presley
06 Blue Eyed Elaine - Earnest Tubb
07 Fire - Jimi Hendrix
08 My Back Pages - Bob Dylan
09 My Mommy and Santa Claus - Lonnie & Lottie
10 My True Love - Bobby Fuller Four
11 'Til I Hear It from You - Gin Blossoms
12 Treasure of Love - Clyde McPhatter
13 Journey to the Center of Your Mind - Amboy Dukes
14 Love's Theme [Instrumental] - Barry White & Love Unlimited Orchestra

Here's the usual song list:

01 Don't Forget Me (Marshall Crenshaw)
02 Wanda and Duane (Marshall Crenshaw)
03 All or Nothin' at All (Marshall Crenshaw)
04 Sock It to Me, Santa (Marshall Crenshaw with the Chisel Brothers)
05 I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone (Marshall Crenshaw)
06 Blue Eyed Elaine (Marshall Crenshaw)
07 Fire (Marshall Crenshaw)
08 My Back Pages (Marshall Crenshaw)
09 My Mommy and Santa Claus (Marshall Crenshaw)
10 My True Love (Marshall Crenshaw)
11 'Til I Hear It from You (Marshall Crenshaw)
12 Treasure of Love (Marshall Crenshaw)
13 Journey to the Center of Your Mind (Marshall Crenshaw)
14 Love's Theme [Instrumental] (Marshall Crenshaw)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16060910/MarshallC_1995-2000_ThHumnJkeboxVolum5_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is from a concert at the House of Blues in October 1995. I don't know which exact venue though, since there are a bunch with that name.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to be so nerdy, but the song you have listed here as "My Mommy And Santa Claus" is actually "Twisting Santa Claus." It's a Del Reeves song (at least that's the version I know).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have done this first, but sure enough when I look up Lottie and Lonnie's version and it's called "My Mommy and Santa Claus." Just to add to the confusion, I had it in my library as "Twistin' WIth Santa." Really interesting! Thanks for posting this.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate a nerdy dedication to accuracy. Thanks for looking this up.

      Delete