Saturday, December 23, 2023

Mickey Hart, Joan Osborne & the Flying Other Brothers - Concert for Dave Obey, Regency Ballroom, Hyatt Regency, Washington, DC, 3-21-2004

I recently posted four albums of Joan Osborne singing Grateful Dead songs in concert with the band Phil Lesh and Friends in 2006. This is very similar. Two years earlier, instead of singing Dead songs with former member of the Dead bassist Phil Lesh, she did a concert where she sand Dead songs with former member of the Dead drummer Mickey Hart.

I know very, very little about this concert, and I could find almost no mention of it on the Internet. At some point I must have known something about it, because I put it on my "wish list" with the SoulseekQT file sharing program. After many months, I had forgotten all about it, and it showed up, allowing me to download it. 

Looking it up at discogs.com, I see that it technically was officially released at one point, but it seems it was a limited release and quickly went out of print. The record company that released it literally only ever released this one album. This was billed as the "Concert for Dave Obey," so I looked him up. It turns out he was a Democratic Congressperson in Wisconsin from 1969 to 2011. He was considered one of the most progressive people in Congress, which would explain why the likes of Obsorne and Hart performed a benefit concert that presumably helped raise money for his reelection.

That's about all I know. I don't know if more songs were played, or if anyone talked between songs, etc... If you know, please inform us. But what I do know is that it's great hearing Osborne sing Dead songs. And the song quality is excellent. By the way, I think Mickey Hart sang some lead vocals too, but he only did a bit of that since he's not known for his singing. Whoever played lead guitar did a very close imitation of Jerry Garcia's style, including the guitar tone.

This album is an hour and eight minutes long.

01 Sugaree (Mickey Hart, Joan Osborne & the Flying Other Brothers)
02 Scarlet Begonias - Fire on the Mountain (Mickey Hart, Joan Osborne & the Flying Other Brothers)
03 Queen Bee (Mickey Hart, Joan Osborne & the Flying Other Brothers)
04 I Know You Rider (Mickey Hart, Joan Osborne & the Flying Other Brothers)
05 Franklin's Tower (Mickey Hart, Joan Osborne & the Flying Other Brothers)
06 Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad (Mickey Hart, Joan Osborne & the Flying Other Brothers)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16082496/JOANOS2004_ConcrtfrDveObyRgencyBllroomHyttRgencyWshingtnDC__3-21-2001_atse.zip.html

The cover is the exact one from the official release.

3 comments:

  1. Check out wikipedia Paul for a bio on the Flying Other Brothers. Seems they were quite active over a few years and played quite a few benefit concerts both political and social. Seems they have their own website too- www.fob.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected. I erased what I wrote about not knowing about the backing band. Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for all the Joan Osborne material! Is there a way I can donate to you?

    ReplyDelete