Saturday, December 2, 2023

David Gilmour - On TV and Radio, Volume 2: 1987-2006

I started out trying to make a series of BBC albums for Gilmour, but I discovered too much interesting non-BBC stuff to leave out. That's particularly the case with this volume, in which only tracks 5 and 6 were recorded for an unreleased 2002 BBC studio session.

A majority of the songs here are from DVDs. "Deep in the Blues" is from a tribute concert to guitar pioneer Les Paul, that was later put out on DVD. "Don't" is very unusual compared to Gilmour's usual style. It's a cover of a Leiber and Stoller song that was performed by Elvis Presley, and was done at a tribute concert in 2001. It later showed up on the DVD "David Gilmour in Concert," even though it didn't really fit with the rest of the music from that. Tracks 7 through 9 are from a 2004 concert called "The Strat Pack," that was a tribute to a guitar, the Stratocraster, rather than a person. That too came out on DVD. 

That leaves just a few songs. "Ah, Robertson, It's You" was played on the "Saturday Night Live" TV show in 1987. Since it was never released, I guess there's some controversy about the song title, and some call it "Song for My Sara" instead. "On the Turning Away" was done for an Amnesty International benefit concert, which is fitting considering the subject matter of the song. "Dominos" was a bonus track on some editions of Gilmour's "Live in Gdansk" album, even though it was recorded in Paris.

Note that trcks 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9 were original done for Pink Floyd albums. And while "Dominos" was never a Pink Floyd song per se, it was written by Syd Barrett, the first lead singer of Pink Floyd.

This album is 56 minutes long.

01 Ah, Robertson, It's You [Song for My Sara] [Instrumental] (David Gilmour)
02 Deep in the Blues [Instrumental] (David Gilmour)
03 On the Turning Away (David Gilmour)
04 Don't (David Gilmour)
05 Fat Old Sun (David Gilmour)
06 Smile (David Gilmour)
07 Marooned [Instrumental] (David Gilmour)
08 Coming Back to Life (David Gilmour)
09 Sorrow (David Gilmour)
10 Dominoes (David Gilmour)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16010870/DavdGlmour_1987-2006_OnTVndRdioVolum2_atse.zip.html

The cover photo was taken at the Secret Policeman's Third Ball in London, Britain, on March 26, 1987.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I've made a very odd Syd Barrett Album. Using Ai Voice technology. It has some interesting moments but it's not as rounded as the other Ai Voice Album I did. Kurt Sings Neil. Yes Kurt Cobain singing Neil Young songs. It has some truly ethereal, unnerving touches to it. Let me know if you are interested in hearing them. I'm still trying to work out how I feel about the results or if I even like such use of technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks. I'm totally interested in having people help with posts. You probably noticed the Mike Solof guest posts, and I'm also working with other people on albums for Ron Sexsmith and Levon Helm. However, I'd rather avoid stuff with faked AI voices. That opens a whole can of worms I'd rather stay closed. But other non-AI stuff, sure, I'd like to hear that.

      Delete
    2. I thoroughly agree! It's just too odd! Weird! Ghostly.
      Although (Ai)Kurt singing Music Arcade is rather sublime.

      I did finally finish my version of Pink Floyd's The Big Spiff. I used Ai to remove vocals to create a fully ambient version of material available. It does reveal some fantastic musical moments, somewhat washed over by Gilmour's vocals. Perhaps overdone on The Division Bell (!?)

      Delete