Sunday, November 19, 2023

Warren Zevon - BBC In Concert, Hammersmith Odeon, London, Britain, 1-25-1988

As part of my big BBC project, I went looking to see what American singer-songwriter Warren Zevon did for the BBC, if anything. All I could find was this concert from 1988. I have a sneaking suspicion there could be more, but for now, this is it.

Yes, Zevon was a singer-songwriter (he died in 2003), but this is an upbeat and rocking concert with a full band. He played most of his best known songs, including his one big hit, "Werewolves of London." So this is a good introduction to his career in general, I think.

This concert is unreleased and seems to be pretty rare even as a bootleg. In the version I found, the applause at the ends of songs faded out and then faded back in with the next songs. But I found I could stitch them back together and get rid of the fades, and nothing was missing. 

In terms of sound quality, it's just as good as you'd expect from the BBC.

This album is 56 minutes long.

01 Lawyers, Guns and Money (Warren Zevon)
02 Detox Mansion (Warren Zevon)
03 Boom Boom Mancini (Warren Zevon)
04 talk (Warren Zevon)
05 Johnny Strikes Up the Band (Warren Zevon)
06 Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner (Warren Zevon)
07 talk (Warren Zevon)
08 Reconsider Me (Warren Zevon)
09 Excitable Boy (Warren Zevon)
10 Sentimental Hygiene (Warren Zevon)
11 Accidentally like a Martyr (Warren Zevon)
12 Werewolves of London (Warren Zevon)
13 Play It All Night Long (Warren Zevon)
14 Ain't That Pretty at All (Warren Zevon)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15960310/WarrnZevn_1988_BBInConcrtHammrsmthOdeonLondnBrtain__1-25-1988_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is from a concert in Gent, Belgium, in February 1988. It looks almost like a sepia tinted photo, but that's actually full color. I guess he just had colored lighting on him at the time.

7 comments:

  1. Again, a bug has been placed on this and Malwarebytes will not let me download. After spending an hour dealing with that virus I'm reluctant. Can you offer an alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these and many other recordings. Curious if there is a new download proceedure in place. I will download a .zip file (onto a W11 pc) extract the folder and it will have a large "proinstaller(dot)exe" file, roughly the size of the expected download. Double clicking the "exe" file confirms Zip7 is installed but does not expand the file. I expected that this was a "Self Expanding Archive" but it is not behaving as such. I was able to get the Robert Palmer download to work but not several others. including the Warren Zevon.... do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I can't help. I have an ad blocker, so I never see that kind of thing. You definitely should NOT be getting an .exe file though. Never open those! Maybe someone else who has faced this problem can explain how to get around it? I keep suggesting to people to get an ad blocker plug in for your browser. They're free, and make surfing the Web so much nicer.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Paul; followed your suggestion and it worked. For anyone else having download issues, installed TotalAdBlock (free) in Chrome Extensions and it resolved issue. Again, thanks for all of the shared music!

      Delete
    3. Great. I'm glad to see someone actually taking up my suggestion to use an ad blocker. I can't imagine surfing the Web without one anymore, and seeing crappy ads everywhere.

      Delete
  3. Finally got a chance to listen to this and it is great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the correct date for this show is Feb 25, 1988. I saw Zevon at this venue during the 1988 winter Olympics, which were in February. Googling doesn't show any January shows that year by him and it seems odd that he'd play the same venue a month apart.

    That said, I'm very happy to get a copy of the show. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete