Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Beck - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1994-2006

If you've been following this blog a long time, you've probably noticed I'm a big fan of Beck, having posted many albums by him, and I'm also a big fan of BBC recordings. So here's two great things that go great together: Beck at the BBC. As I write this in 2023, I've found enough for six Beck BBC albums, with hopefully more to come as time goes on. But most of those are full concerts. This is the only one that is made up of BBC studio sessions.

This is a rather odd and short album because Beck has done so few BBC studio sessions. The first four songs are from 1994, and the next three are from 1995. Then there's a big time leap to 2003 for the next song. Finally, the last three songs are from 2006. All together, it only makes for 34 minutes of music. But luckily, the music is united by an overall acoustic sound.

I know he did more BBC studio sessions; it's just that I can't find them. For instance, more songs from his 2006 session were played on the radio show in subsequent weeks. So if anyone has more, let me know, so I can flesh this out some more.

All the performances are officially unreleased, as far as I know. The sound quality is excellent throughout, as you'd expect from BBC studio sessions.

01 Static 1 [Baby] (Beck)
02 Leave Me on the Moon (Beck)
03 One Foot in the Grave (Beck)
04 Waiting for a Train (Beck)
05 Cyanide Breath Mint (Beck)
06 Jack-Ass (Beck)
07 Grinnin' in Your Face (Beck)
08 Round the Bend (Beck)
09 Think I'm in Love (Beck)
10 Lost Cause (Beck)
11 Rental Car (Beck)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15941978/BeckH_1994-2006_BBSessonsVolum1_atse.zip.html

The cover photo shows Beck in concert at an unknown place and time in 1994.

1 comment:

  1. I have a cassette recording of Beck doing an interview on the BBC Radio 1 Evening Session in either 1994-5, where he performs two songs, Static (not sure if it is the same Static as above?) and Spirits. I've not seen these two songs or the interview anywhere else but I'm on a mission to find them and get them uploaded as they are beautiful. It is hugely frustrating that so much time is given over to the sessions on John Peel's show but sessions for the Evening Session (under Mark Goodier, then Lamacq and Whiley), the Rock Show and even Andy Kershaw's world music shows are not treated with the same reverence! The other tape I'm trying to find is an Sonic Youth Evening Session of their song Purr from 1993-ish, where an edited version was released without a tasty guitar solo. If I find them you will be first to know!

    ReplyDelete