Sunday, January 29, 2023

Humble Pie - BBC Sessions, Volume 2: In Concert, BBC, Paris Theatre, London, Britain, 9-10-1970

Here's the second of three volumes of British band Humble Pie at the BBC. The first and third volumes are mostly made up of BBC studio sessions. But this one is a concert, the only one they did for the BBC (at least that I'm aware of).

This concert took place relatively early in the band's career, while it was still co-lead by Steve Marriott of the Small Faces and Peter Frampton of the Herd. It was shortly after the band's third album, simply called "Humble Pie." They were moving more towards the boogie rock direction that would lead to great success with their 1971 live album "Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore."

The concert was emceed by BBC DJ John Peel; he did pretty much all the talking between songs. As far as I know, it remains officially unreleased. But the sound quality is very good. However, there was a problem to my ears: I thought the lead vocals were too low in the mix. So I boosted them for nearly all the songs using the X-Minus audio editing program.

This album is an hour long.

01 talk (Humble Pie)
02 Four Day Creep (Humble Pie)
03 talk (Humble Pie)
04 I'm Ready (Humble Pie)
05 talk (Humble Pie)
06 Live with Me (Humble Pie)
07 talk (Humble Pie)
08 Stone Cold Fever (Humble Pie)
09 talk (Humble Pie)
10 Hallelujah I Love Her So (Humble Pie)
11 talk (Humble Pie)
12 Walk On Gilded Splinters (Humble Pie)
13 talk (Humble Pie)
14 Sad Bag of Shakey Jake (Humble Pie)
15 talk (Humble Pie)
16 One Eyed Trouser Snake Rumba (Humble Pie)
17 talk (Humble Pie)
18 Big Black Dog (Humble Pie)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15292115/HumbleP_1970_BBSessionsVolum2InConcert__9-10-1970_atse.zip.html

I must admit the cover photo is kind of a fake. I didn't find many good photos of the band in concert from around this time. However, I found two good photos of Humble Pie playing at Hyde Park in London on July 3, 1971. But one of them featured Steve Marriott very well, holding up a fist, yet didn't have Peter Frampton in it at all. The other one featured Frampton well, but Marriott was only a small figure on the side. So I used Photoshop to bring Frampton into the photo that most prominently featured Marriott. Frampton is the guitarist with the light blue suit. Since the lighting and such was the same in both photos, I think the edit works okay, although the right and the left of Frampton's guitar playing is flipped.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to listening to this. The cover works with the exception of Peter being flipped. He is a right handed player. Thanks as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a frequent downloader here, I thought it high time to express my appreciation for all the care you put into your shares.

    ReplyDelete