Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Cliff Richard - BBC Sessions, Volume 7: Hammersmith Odeon, London, Britain, 12-5-1981

I thought I was all done with posting anything from Cliff Richard. But then I was sent some additional BBC material from a kind commenter at this blog. I have one more in this series to post after this, then possibly something else a bit different.

This concert took place in 1981, and it definitely sounds it. Richard certainly new how to keep up with the times and keep having hits. In the early 1980s new wave was all the rage, and a lot of the songs fit that sound. I wasn't familiar with most of this material before hearing this album, and I was surprised some of it was actually by him. There are some throwbacks to earlier eras, especially ballads, but most of it would have sounded current in 1981. Frankly, I like this kind of music better, with less schmaltzy stuff (other than those ballads I mentioned).

As you'd expect from the BBC, the sound quality is excellent. Thanks to Phil for the music. I don't think this concert has been available on the Internet until now, at least not anywhere I could find.

This album is 55 minutes long.

01 Son of Thunder (Cliff Richard)
02 Young Love (Cliff Richard)
03 talk (Cliff Richard)
04 Wired for Sound (Cliff Richard)
05 Summer Rain (Cliff Richard)
06 Dreamin' (Cliff Richard)
07 talk (Cliff Richard)
08 Once in a While (Cliff Richard)
09 The Next Time (Cliff Richard)
10 talk (Cliff Richard)
11 The Day I Met Marie (Cliff Richard)
12 talk (Cliff Richard)
13 Don't Talk to Him (Cliff Richard)
14 Miss You Nights (Cliff Richard)
15 talk (Cliff Richard)
16 We Don't Talk Anymore (Cliff Richard)
17 Move It (Cliff Richard)
18 Stood Up (Cliff Richard)
19 Daddy's Home (Cliff Richard)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15602539/CliffR_1981_BBSessionsVolume7HammrsmithOdeon__12-5-1981_atse.zip.html

The cover photo was taken at this exact venue, the Hammersmith Odeon, in 1981. However, he played there multiple times that year, so I don't know if it's from this exact concert or not.

1 comment: