Thursday, January 23, 2020

Robyn Hitchcock - Nothing Makes Me Cry - Non-Album Tracks (2006-2009)

Robyn Hitchcock is so damn prolific. I feel like I've been posting his albums more frequently than any other artist, and yet I still have over 10 years to go to get to the present day with him. Here's another stray tracks collection, this time covering the years 2006 to 2009.

Hitchcock has had a habit of making up songs on the spot in concert, often in response to some words someone in the audience shouts out that he finds intriguing. Looking over his career, I've noticed that he mostly stopped doing that around this time. I think that has to do with the rise of cell phones, and people recording everything. It makes you think twice if you feel that everything is being recorded. Anyway, that means that more of the songs here are properly planned songs, so that makes this a more consistent listening experience than some previous stray tracks albums.

The sound quality is really good as well. Three of the songs are unreleased and come from concert bootlegs. But they sound good too. "Hungry for Love," a fun duet between Hitchcock and Nick Lowe of a 1963 hit by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, sounds a bit rougher than the rest, but it's not too bad. By the way, I think that song is the only cover here.

"Beyond Basingstoke" is kind of Hitchcock's "Revolution 9" - a weird sound collage. The original version ran over 12 minutes. I didn't like the beginning and ending parts of it, which I thought were fairly boring. So I've edited it down to six minutes.

One song did sound notably rougher than the rest, a medley of "Wild Goose" and "New York Gals." So I've demoted that down to only being a bonus track.

01 I Wish I Was Doing This (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Damaged Limitation If Only (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 Embryo Twirl (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 Underground Sun (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Painkiller Song (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 I Declare that We Are Free (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 Hungry for Love (Robyn Hitchcock & Nick Lowe)
08 America [New Version] (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 Beyond Basingstoke [Edit] (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 I Just Wanna Be Loved (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 Nothing Makes Me Cry (Robyn Hitchcock)

Wild Goose - New York Gals (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15122343/RobynH_2006-2009_NothingMkesMeCry_atse.zip.html

For the cover art, I found a concert poster from 2006. I removed some text at the bottom and replaced that with the album title. I also made some drastic edits to make the rectangular poster fit into a square shape. Also, the poster was just black on a plain white background, and that didn't seem right to me for Hitchcock, so I added a little color in the background. Okay, I added a lot of color. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! You can never have too much Robyn Hitchcock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, just came back to say hello et wish you a beautiful year full of musical wonders! I see that the Hitchcock craze is going on: lucky us! Thousands thanks, and, yes Brent, never enough Robyn... Cheers!

    zardoz1984

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete