Thursday, January 16, 2020

Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions, Volume 2: March-June 1969

A couple of days ago, I posted the first in a series of five albums of Led Zeppelin at the BBC. This is the second. Please read the last post for a more thorough explanation.

The short version is that although most of this material has been officially released, there are some serious flaws that I've fixed here. For this album, I haven't added extra tracks like I have on some others. But I have resequenced the songs so they're in chronological order. Additionally, this album covers three different BBC appearances, and I have the songs in the order they were played.

Thankfully, for this album and all the others in the series, there are no examples of BBC DJs talking over the music. However, a couple of songs here do fade out in a way that doesn't sound natural, for instance on "You Shook Me" and "The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair." I suspect those fade-outs could be how the official release got rid of the DJ talking problem.

There are two instances here of two performances of the same song, for "Communication Breakdown" and "What Is and What Should Never Be." That's not ideal, but I had no way around it, since I'm presenting all the songs in chronological order. At least it's only two versions per song. The first disc of the official compilation has three versions of "Communication Breakdown."

Note that a few of the exact same performances of rare songs here also appear on my series of stray tracks albums for the band. Some songs, like "Sunshine Woman," were only ever recorded once, for the BBC, at least as far as we know.

01 I Can't Quit You Baby (Led Zeppelin)
02 You Shook Me (Led Zeppelin)
03 Sunshine Woman (Led Zeppelin)
04 The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair (Led Zeppelin)
05 Communication Breakdown (Led Zeppelin)
06 Somethin' Else (Led Zeppelin)
07 What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin)
08 Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin)
09 Communication Breakdown (Led Zeppelin)
10 Travelling Riverside Blues (Led Zeppelin)
11 What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin)

https://www.imagenetz.de/f2Row

There are no good photos of Led Zeppelin playing in the BBC studios, at least none that I've found. So instead, for the cover art, I've used a photo of the band playing in Boston in late May 1969. It only shows Jimmy Page (with guitar) and Robert Plant, but I like how it shows the crowd. The lettering for the band name at the top, which I'm using for all the albums in this series, comes from a poster advertising a concert in Seattle in May 1969.

No comments:

Post a Comment