Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Feist - Morning Becomes Eclectic, KCRW, Santa Monica, CA, 6-21-2005

Feist is a talented singer-songwriter. She's not super popular, but I definitely like her stuff. So here's something from her.

I'm especially fond of solo acoustic versions of songs, a point I just made in my last post, of a Ron Sexsmith album. Feist's material is fairly mellow, but I gather she hasn't played concerts in acoustic format very much. But I found one, from 2005, that has perfect sound quality. It also comes just after her "Let It Die" album, which is probably my favorite by her.

Speaking of Ron Sexsmith, one thing I like about the "Let It Die" album is that it contains a cover of Sexsmith's best song, "Secret Heart." Feist does it even better than he does, in my opinion, and the version of that song here is possibly the best of all.

I left in the between song banter by Feist, since there isn't that much. There's a much longer interview that I left out, because I personally find that sort of thing is good to hear one, but it gets old fast.

Although Feist (full name Leslie Feist) plays solo here, it's obvious that she plays along to some backing tapes for a few of the songs. But that's done in a tasteful way, and in keeping with the acoustic format.

The one downside to this album is that it's rather short, at only 31 minutes. But it's a satisfying listen just the same.

01 talk (Feist)
02 Secret Heart (Feist)
03 talk (Feist)
04 Gatekeeper (Feist)
05 Honey Honey (Feist)
06 talk (Feist)
07 Now at Last (Feist)
08 Mushaboom (Feist)
09 talk (Feist)
10 Let It Die (Feist)
11 talk (Feist)
12 Intuition (Feist)
13 Inside and Out [Love You Inside Out] (Feist)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15289938/Fest_2005_MornngBecomsEclectc_KCRSntaMonicaCA__6-21-2005_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo appears to be some kind of publicity photo. I chose it because it's from 2005.

2 comments: