Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Allman Brothers Band - One More Ride - Band Demos (1969-1970)

I've posted three albums of music by Allman Brothers Band (ABB) members before they officially became the ABB in mid-1969. Now I can more on to posting actual ABB music.

There seemingly are a million official live ABB albums and a billion live ABB bootlegs, but there's a relatively small amount of studio outtakes. So I'm surprised that I'm able to make this album. I'm also surprised that so many of the songs here are officially unreleased (and also rarely seen on bootlegs).

The first four songs on this album are 1969 band demos for the first ABB album, simply called "The Allman Brothers Band." The rest are band demos for the second album, "Idlewild South." Although it should be noted that the last two songs, "Statesboro Blues" and "One More Ride," didn't appear on that album.

These demos generally sound very good, to the point that it's hard to notice which three of the songs have been officially released. The demo for the song "Revival" didn't sound as good, plus that version is very similar to the released album version, so I've only included that as a bonus track. Another demo, "Leave My Blues at Home," sounded even worse, so I didn't even include that as a bonus track.

Generally speaking, the versions here are fairly close to the ones that made the albums. But sometimes there are important differences, and the solos are different. Of course, the ABB are renowned for their live performances, but I think it's worthwhile to hear how the studio versions of these songs came to be.

01 Don't Want You No More [Instrumental] (Allman Brothers Band)
02 It's Not My Cross to Bear (Allman Brothers Band)
03 Trouble No More (Allman Brothers Band)
04 Dreams (Allman Brothers Band)
05 Don't Keep Me Wondering (Allman Brothers Band)
06 Midnight Rider (Allman Brothers Band)
07 In Memory of Elizabeth Reed [Instrumental] (Allman Brothers Band)
08 Hoochie Coochie Man (Allman Brothers Band)
09 Statesboro Blues (Allman Brothers Band)
10 One More Ride [Instrumental] (Allman Brothers Band)

Revival (Allman Brothers Band)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15197366/TAllmanBB_1969-1970_OneMorRideBandDmos_atse.zip.html

I used a 1970 concert poster as the basis for the album cover. But I realized the photo used on the poster was exactly the same as the one on the "Idlewild South" album, so I replaced it with another photo of the band, from 1969. Over a year later, I got a good program for colorizing (Pixbim), so I colorized it.

Here's the full version of the colorization, if anyone is interested.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. I just fixed it.

      Delete
  2. Looks like this link got taken down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I deactivated that Mega link myself, when I got worried about Mega takedowns, but then I forgot to replace it. I just replaced it. There could be a few other dead Mega links like that. I'll try to check. Thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete