Sunday, August 11, 2019

Joe Jackson - Live at The Savoy, New York City, 7-8-1981

If you like Joe Jackson's 1981 album "Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive," this is the concert for you. Personally, it's one of my favorite Jackson albums, so I really like this.

After three albums of all original music, Jackson put out an album entirely consisting of covers of swing and jump blues songs from the 1940s. For the concert tour to promote the album, he played all of the songs from it, plus a handful of additional covers in the same style, and absolutely none of his own songs. Apparently, this upset a lot of concert goers, and many left the shows early. But Jackson and his band were clearly having a heck of a good time anyway. This concert, and the album it is based on, is a great introduction to a really fun genre of music.

The songs that Jackson did in this concert but not on the "Jumpin' Jive" album are: "Minnie the Moocher," "Stompin' at the Savoy," "Texas and Pacific," and "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out." Additionally, the song "Knock Me a Kiss" was done at some other concerts on this tour, but not this one. So I've added at the end that as a bonus track from another show.

For many years, I had a bootleg of this album in just decent sound. However, today I went poking around the Internet and found a version with better sound, so that's what I'm posting. The show was played live on FM radio, so the bootleg comes from that.

01 Jumpin' with Symphony Sid (Joe Jackson)
02 Jack, You're Dead (Joe Jackson)
03 We the Cats [Shall Hep Ya] (Joe Jackson)
04 Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby (Joe Jackson)
05 San Francisco Fan (Joe Jackson)
06 You Run Your Mouth [And I'll Run My Business] (Joe Jackson)
07 You're My Meat (Joe Jackson)
08 What's the Use of Getting Sober [When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again] (Joe Jackson)
09 Stompin' at the Savoy (Joe Jackson)
10 Tuxedo Junction (Joe Jackson)
11 Minnie the Moocher (Joe Jackson)
12 Five Guys Named Moe (Joe Jackson)
13 Jumpin' Jive (Joe Jackson)
14 talk (Joe Jackson)
15 How Long Must I Wait for You (Joe Jackson)
16 Texas and Pacific (Joe Jackson)
17 Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out (Joe Jackson)
18 Jumpin' Jive [Reprise] (Joe Jackson)
19 Knock Me a Kiss (Joe Jackson)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15847658/JoeJacks_1981_TheSavyNewYorkCity__7-8-1981_atse.zip.html

For the album cover, I found a photo from Jackson's 1981 concert tour by Lynn Goldsmith. I like the unusual perspective, showing the full band as well as some of the audience. I also added in the pink lettering from a photo I found of 1981 concert tour T-shirt, and then added in the white text as well.

2 comments:

  1. been looking for this for ages. It's my favorite joe jackson album too. thanks for this and so many others and all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I just wish it sounded better.

      Delete