Sunday, August 18, 2019
Elliott Smith - Live Acoustic Cover Versions, 1997-1999
This album illustrates that point very well. All the songs here are cover versions, done acoustically in concert. I generally removed the audience noise at the end of songs. Only two performances here have been officially released, but the sound quality is generally very good. The one exception to that is "Oh Sister," a Bob Dylan song, which is hissy. So I made that a bonus track.
Here are the original artists for the other songs:
Waterloo Sunset - Kinks
Thirteen - Big Star
They'll Never Take Her Love from Me - Hank Williams
For No One - Beatles
Walk Away Renee - Left Banke
Set Me Free - Kinks
Lost Highway - Hank Williams
All My Rowdy Friends [Have Settled Down] - Hank Williams, Jr.
Clouds - Quasi
Care of Cell 44 - Zombies
Jealous Guy - John Lennon
Isn't It a Pity - George Harrison
Harvest Moon - Neil Young
Smith did so many live acoustic cover versions that I have a sequel album covering the other years of his career. I also have an album of live cover versions done with a full band.
01. Waterloo Sunset (Elliott Smith)
02. Thirteen (Elliott Smith)
03. They'll Never Take Her Love from Me (Elliott Smith)
04. For No One (Elliott Smith)
05. Walk Away Renee (Elliott Smith)
06. Set Me Free (Elliott Smith)
07. Lost Highway (Elliott Smith)
08. All My Rowdy Friends [Have Settled Down] (Elliott Smith)
09. Clouds (Elliott Smith)
10. Care of Cell 44 (Elliott Smith)
11. Jealous Guy (Elliott Smith)
12. Isn't It a Pity (Elliott Smith)
13. Harvest Moon (Elliott Smith)
Oh Sister (Elliott Smith)
For the album cover, I used a photo of Smith from 1998.