Saturday, August 31, 2019
Lucinda Williams - Pretty Little Poison - Various Songs (1994-1998)
All but one song is officially released, and that one song was recorded for radio, so the sound quality is uniformly excellent. Most songs come from tribute albums and other various artists collections, as well as duets that appeared on other people's albums. Two of the songs are bonus tracks from "Car Wheels."
A majority of the songs are covers, including: "You Don't Have Very Far to Go" (Merle Haggard), "Positively 4th Street" (Bob Dylan), "Cowboys to Girls" (The Intruders), "Apartment No. 9" (Tammy Wynette), "You're Still Standin' There" (Steve Earle), "Here in California" (Kate Wolf), and "Come to Me Baby" (Howlin' Wolf).
I made "Blaze" only a bonus track for two reasons. One, it's an early version of her famous "Drunken Angel," and two, the sound quality isn't very good compared to all the others on the album.
01. You Don't Have Very Far to Go (Lucinda Williams)
02. Positively 4th Street [Acoustic Version] (Lucinda Williams)
03. How Can I Sleep without You (Julian Dawson & Lucinda Williams)
04. Cowboys to Girls (Chris Gaffney & Lucinda Williams)
05. You're Still Standin' There (Steve Earle & Lucinda Williams)
06. Breakfast in Bed (Donnie Fritts & Lucinda Williams)
07. Apartment No. 9 (Lucinda Williams)
08. Here in California (Lucinda Williams)
09. Pretty Little Poison (Robbie Fulks & Lucinda Williams)
10. Down the Big Road Blues (Lucinda Williams)
11. Out of Touch (Lucinda Williams)
12. Come to Me Baby (Lucinda Williams)
Blaze [Early Version of Drunken Angel] (Lucinda Williams)
For the cover art, I used a photo of Williams in concert from either 1998 or 1999, I'm not sure.