Saturday, August 31, 2019
Lucinda Williams - Pretty Little Poison - Various Songs (1994-1998)
All but one song is officially released, and that one song was recorded for radio, so the sound quality is uniformly excellent. Most songs come from tribute albums and other various artists collections, as well as duets that appeared on other people's albums. Two of the songs are bonus tracks from "Car Wheels."
A majority of the songs are covers, including: "You Don't Have Very Far to Go" (Merle Haggard), "Positively 4th Street" (Bob Dylan), "Cowboys to Girls" (The Intruders), "Apartment No. 9" (Tammy Wynette), "You're Still Standin' There" (Steve Earle), "Here in California" (Kate Wolf), and "Come to Me Baby" (Howlin' Wolf).
UPDATE: On May 12, 2020, I updated the mp3 download file. The first three songs here - "All I Want," "Pancakes," and "Main Road," were moved from the previous album in this series. That's because that album got too long after I found four more songs for it. I also found one new song for this album, "The Farm."
Furthermore, I updated the original song "Blaze" from being a bonus track for two reasons. One, I found a much better version of it in terms of sound quality. Two, I thought it was merely an early version of the song "Drunken Angel" found on her 1998 album "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road." But after listening to this new version carefully, I realized that although the songs are about the same person and the phrase "drunken angel" is mentioned in "Blaze," they're really different songs.
Finally, the above changes meant five more songs were added to this album. So I move four songs to the next album in this series ("Here in California," "Down the Big Road Blues," "Out of Touch," and "Come to Me Baby").
01. All I Want (Lucinda Williams)
02. Pancakes (Lucinda Williams)
03. Main Road (Lucinda Williams)
04. You Don't Have Very Far to Go (Lucinda Williams)
05. Positively 4th Street [Acoustic Version] (Lucinda Williams)
06. How Can I Sleep without You (Julian Dawson & Lucinda Williams)
07. Blaze (Lucinda Williams)
08. Cowboys to Girls (Chris Gaffney & Lucinda Williams)
09. You're Still Standin' There (Steve Earle & Lucinda Williams)
10. Breakfast in Bed (Donnie Fritts & Lucinda Williams)
11. The Farm (Lucinda Williams)
12. Apartment No. 9 (Lucinda Williams)
13. Pretty Little Poison (Robbie Fulks & Lucinda Williams)
For the cover art, I used a photo of Williams in concert from either 1998 or 1999, I'm not sure.