Thursday, June 1, 2023

Stevie Wonder - Musikladen, Bremen, Germany, 1-22-1974

I've tried to collect everything that has great sound quality from Stevie Wonder's peak era, which is most of the 1970s. In addition to some full concerts, which I've posted here, I found some stray live bits, maybe a song here or two songs there, that were nonetheless worth hearing. Previously, I'd stuck those as quasi-bonus tracks on the full concerts from the same years. But when I reposted those concerts in the last couple of months (roughly April 2023), I removed all those extra, stray songs. I figured I could make an album out of them instead.

Then, thinking a bit more, I realized that three of those songs were from the "Musikladen" TV show in Germany (the successor to "Beat Club"), and that, really, the whole Musikladen show was very good, with excellent sound quality. I had only included three songs before because I didn't want two versions of the same song on one album. But here, I'm free to include the full Musikladen show, so I did. That makes up tracks 3 to 11, and is 31 minutes long.

I still had a few stray live bits, and 31 minutes is short for an album, so I've included those as well. Everything here is officially unreleased, and it all has soundboard-level sound quality.

The first song (a medley of  is a collaboration between Wonder and the Rolling Stones in 1972. That year, Wonder was the opening act for a Rolling Stones tour, so they often played these two songs together as an encore. I edited it a bit to boost Wonder's vocals during "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

The next three songs come from the 1972 "One to One" benefit concert that was headlined by John Lennon. (I've posted Lennon's rehearsals for that show.)

Tracks 5 and 6 are from a concert in Cannes, France. There's more to that recording, but not that much. It's even shorter than the Musikladen one, and all the other songs were played at Musikladen as well. So I only included the two different ones.

Tracks 6 through 13 are from the Musikladen concert. Unfortunately, the last song, "Superstition," fades out a couple of minutes before the usual end time. But I have a different version of "Superstition" as track 2. I don't mind having two of the same songs on one album since one version fades out early. Besides, it's "Superstition," one of the greatest songs of all time.

Note that I doubt "I'm So Glad to Be Alive" is an actual Stevie Wonder song. It's more like that's a jam, and just about the only vocal line Wonder had was "I'm so glad to be alive," so the people who make bootlegs call it that. Near the end of that jam he went into a bit of "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours," but it's not a proper attempt at that song.

The last song here is "You Haven't Done Nothin'." Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much of Wonder's live music from 1975. He went on tour that year, but there are only a couple of rough audience bootlegs. But he did play this one song at that year's Grammy Awards show, so that has excellent sound quality. 

This album is 59 minutes long. So 31 minutes of that are the Musikladen show, and another 28 minutes are the rest of the stray live bits.

01 Uptight [Everything's Alright] - [I Can't Get No] Satisfaction [Edit] (Stevie Wonder & the Rolling Stones)
02 Superwoman (Stevie Wonder)
03 Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
04 Keep On Running (Stevie Wonder)
05 All in Love Is Fair (Stevie Wonder)
06 You Are the Sunshine of My Life (Stevie Wonder)
07 I'm So Glad to Be Alive - Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours (Stevie Wonder)
08 Contusion [Instrumental] (Stevie Wonder)
09 Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder)
10 Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing (Stevie Wonder)
11 I Can See the Sun in Late December (Stevie Wonder)
12 He's Misstra Know-It-All (Stevie Wonder)
13 Living for the City (Stevie Wonder)
14 Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
15 You Haven't Done Nothin' (Stevie Wonder)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15295312/StevieW_1974_MsikladnBremnGermany__1-22-1974_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is a screenshot I took from the Musikladen show.

3 comments:

  1. Superwoman from One To One
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/zrp56sikgs8v6j4/01_Superwoman_-_Stevie_Wonder-Madison_Square_Garden%252C_Aug_30%252C_1972.mp3/file
    I also downloaded the other to songs from Wolfgang's Vault. If you need them, let me know.
    By the way, did you ever come across a SB version of Boogie On Reggae Woman? It's one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs. And I never found a high quality live version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! There's a couple other things I'd like from WV, if you don't mind. Could you email me? My email is thompson22 @ runbox.com.
      Re: Boogie On Reggae Woman, like I was saying, no other recordings from 1975 sound good. But you can find versions from much, much later, like this one:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdgjwUZbAjo

      Delete
    2. I just updated the album with Superwoman added in. Thanks again for that one. :)

      Delete