Monday, June 19, 2023

Led Zeppelin - The Old Refectory, Southampton University, Southampton, Britain, 1-22-1973

How much do you value a spirited performance vs. sound quality? I recently looked at some Led Zeppelin social forums, and this is considered quite possibly THE best sounding live recording of the band, even though it's a bootleg. It's not just a soundboard; this was a professionally done multi-track recording that somehow got leaked to the public. I think the sound quality is freaking amazing. 

The downside for die-hard fans is that this was considered merely a good night for the band, not an outstanding one. But I think that's nitpicking. The band sure sounded "on" to me. I'd much rather listen to this than some supposedly great performance that's buried in hiss and muck.

As amazing as this sounded already, I think I made it sound even better. I used the audio editing program UVR5 to make a few changes. For starters, the lead vocals were a bit low, so I boosted them for all the songs. There also were occasional sections of songs when the vocals were especially low - perhaps lead singer Robert Plant wasn't singing close enough to the microphone. So I took care to give those spots an extra boost, sometimes adjusting line by line. I also boosted the banter between songs so the talking could be heard better over the crowd noise. Finally, the applause was rather low, which is common for soundboards. I also boosted that for most of the songs.

Oh, one more edit I made was that I cut the length of some of the applause way down. Towards the end of the show, there were several encore breaks with cheering that lasted for three or four minutes at times. It's boring for me to hear nothing but applause for that long, so I cut those down to a minute or two each instead.

One other great thing about this concert is that it was played in a small venue of only a few hundred people. That's extraordinary, because by 1973, Led Zeppelin was one of the biggest musical acts on the planet. Their 1971 album "Led Zeppelin IV" sold over 20 million copies, making it one of the top ten best selling albums of all time. I'm not sure why they deigned to play such a small place in 1973, but maybe it was part of a plan to record this for a possible live album. Whatever the case, that helped even more with the sound quality. It's as if the band was still playing small clubs like they did when they started in early 1969, only with a set list that included tons of classics like "Stairway to Heaven" and "Black Dog." Frankly, I don't understand why this recording isn't a lot better known, or even officially released.

At the time of this concert, the band's next album "Houses of the Holy" was still two months away from being released. But a few songs from that album were played anyway: "The Song Remains the Same," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "The Rain Song," and "Dancing Days." They also did a 23-minute long version of "Whole Lotta Love" that effectively have some full versions of interesting cover songs inside it, such as "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" and "Let's Have a Party."

I'm still working my way through understanding Led Zeppelin bootlegs. If anyone knows of other "best of the best" shows with outstanding sound quality like this one that you think I should post at my blog, please let me know. I'd especially like to fill in some gaps by finding the best shows from 1975 and 1977.

This concert is two hours and 28 minutes long.

01 talk (Led Zeppelin)
02 Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin)
03 Over the Hills and Far Away (Led Zeppelin)
04 talk (Led Zeppelin)
05 Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)
06 Misty Mountain Hop (Led Zeppelin)
07 Since I've Been Loving You (Led Zeppelin)
08 talk (Led Zeppelin)
09 Dancing Days (Led Zeppelin)
10 talk (Led Zeppelin)
11 The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin)
12 The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin)
13 talk (Led Zeppelin)
14 Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin)
15 Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)
16 talk (Led Zeppelin)
17 Whole Lotta Love - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love - Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin)
18 Boogie Chillun’ - [You're So Square] Baby I Don't Care (Led Zeppelin)
19 Let's Have a Party (Led Zeppelin)
20 I Can't Quit You Babe - Whole Lotta Love [Reprise] (Led Zeppelin)
21 talk (Led Zeppelin)
22 Heartbreaker (Led Zeppelin)
23 talk (Led Zeppelin)
24 Organ Solo [Instrumental] (Led Zeppelin)
25 Thank You (Led Zeppelin)
26 talk (Led Zeppelin)
27 How Many More Times - The Hunter - How Many More Times (Led Zeppelin)
28 Communication Breakdown (Led Zeppelin)

https://www.imagenetz.de/ajuQF

The good news is, the cover photo shows Led Zeppelin at this exact venue. The bad news is, it's from the one previous time they played there, on March 11, 1971. So, two years earlier. But I figure the band members more or less looked the same, and this photo gives you a sense of just how small the stage was. I did find a few photos from the correct date, but they were only black and white (and not easily colorized), and none of them are as well composed as this one is.

22 comments:

  1. After '72 boosting Plant's vocals is probably not advised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't think he sounds good here? I think he does. True, he couldn't hit some notes anymore after about 1972, but it's not like he suddenly turned into a bad singer.

      Delete
    2. He sounds decent enough here but from 75 on it's painful to hear.. Zep live was an odd beast. The rhythm section was always tight and happening but the guitars and vocals would veer between
      great and abysmal within just about every song.

      Delete
  2. To answer you question: I'd prefer a great sounding recording from an OK night to a badly sounding recording from an outstandingly great night. But as I said before to questions you asked: Your blog, your rules ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul, I don't know if this is any use to you. Here is a link to Pink Robert's Led Zep page. Sadly all the links are dead as Mega closed them down and so far he hasn't re-upped on a new page. it is useful as he grades all the bootlegs and doesn't post anything he regards of lower quality than a B. best wishes. ND

    http://www.pinkrobert.net/LedZeppelin.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Even though the links are dead, it's helpful to see which shows rate an A.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. OOps here's the link.

      Hi Paul, I forgot to give the link to his new page. A long of bands are still missing but hopefully he will repost in the near future.

      http://www.pinkrobert.net/

      Best wishes. ND

      Delete
  4. Holy shit dude! i went on the site to check if there's any genesis in the uploads, and BOOM!!! NEW LED ZEPPELIN LIVE!!! EVEN BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul, it's a great site for anyone such as yourself who like making compilations. I usually make some for friends. There is a Who page as well so that may be back up soon. He also had an Incrediblte String Band page as well. The only site I've seen so far that had so many. Anyway keep up the good work as I like listening to your albums ahen I'n driving. :)

    Best wishes ND.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS The trouble with genesis bootlegs is that there are a lot of fakes out there. I thought you might like to see this list from a Genesis site.

    https://www.genesis-movement.org/livedatabase.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This boot is available on the Long Live Led Zeppelin web site in FLAC - easily converted to mp4 (ALAC) and hence largely in better sound quality than this (revisions and improvements you have made notwithstanding). I prefer this as a lossless recording to a lossy recording.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Between the 75-77 tours, a huge portion of them have soundboards out in circulation FWIW. I'm a big fan of all of the Seattle shows (they always pulled out all the stops for this city in particular)
    LA Forum runs are always great.
    The gems though are often these smaller European "warmup" gigs before they went to the states

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but that's my problem. I'm kind of overwhelmed with choices. Do you have any specific recommendations for those tours? Hopefully the best sound quality paired with best performance, or close to it.

      Delete
    2. 1975.02.14 Led Zeppelin Uniondale NY St. Valentine's Day Massacre (SoundBoard) Is one that stands out for me. It's mixed with more JPJ than Jimmy and gives the whole show a bassy funkyness IMO

      Delete
    3. Mike the Mike Inglewood US 6.27.1977 is another favorite. If there's one recording that perfectly recreates standing in row 4 (or whatever one Mike was in) of a LZ show in 1977, this one has to be up there.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for this, Paul, and for your work with UVR5 to improve the vocal-to-instrumental balances!
    I have a nice 1960 show for you that I think you will enjoy and want to post here. Drop me an email so I can send you the link to the show.
    Sax & Guitar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have your email, off hand. Mine is thompson22 (at) runbox.com. Could you email me please? Thanks.

      Delete
  10. Paul- have you been to the Heart of Markness website? You can browse through podcasts that discuss various bootlegs and download the full shows in flac if you want. It's a good source for Mike Millard recordings also.
    http://www.heartofmarkness.com/tag/led-zeppelin/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of that site. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  11. https://www.guitars101.com/threads/led-zeppelin-1973-01-22-southampton-uk-sbd-flac-3-lps-24-96-by-the-swinging-pig.800822/#post-3815104 He posted his version three days earlier, but I'd put my money on yours being of better quality due to your own 'interference'...

    ReplyDelete