Sunday, June 4, 2023

Joe Walsh - University of Texas, Arlington, TX, 9-24-1973

There are tons of bootleg recordings on the Internet, but trying to find the ones with really excellent sound quality can be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. (I guess that's a big reason why I have this blog in the first place.) Months ago, I looked high and low for any worthy bootlegs by Joe Walsh prior to when he joined the Eagles in 1976. It was extremely slim pickings. Somehow, I totally missed this concert, which sounds surprisingly good for 1973. Not only must it be a soundboard, but there's so little cheering that at first I thought it might be studio outtakes. This, clearly, is the best sounding live document of Walsh from before he joined the Eagles.

This concert doesn't have much singing on it. There are two lengthy instrumentals. And even the songs with vocals often have short vocal sections and long instrumental passages. But that means this is a great showcase for Walsh's lead guitar skills. 

Speaking of instrumentals, I don't know the names of either of the songs that I've just called "Instrumental No. 1" and "Instrumental No. 2." If you do, please let me know so I can correct their titles.

By the way, technically I suppose this should be credited to "Joe Walsh and Barnstorm." But his 1973 album, where many of these songs come from, was credited to just Walsh, and Barnstorm broke up after this tour. 

This album is 54 minutes long.

01 Meadows (Joe Walsh)
02 Instrumental No. 1 (Joe Walsh)
03 The Bomber (Joe Walsh)
04 Turn to Stone (Joe Walsh)
05 Instrumental No. 2 (Joe Walsh)
06 Tend My Garden - Drum Solo (Joe Walsh)
07 Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh)
08 The Bomber [Reprise] (Joe Walsh)
09 Turn to Stone [Reprise] [Instrumental] (Joe Walsh)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15302578/JoeWal_1973_UnverstyofTxasArlingtnTX__9-24-1973_atse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from an appearance on an ABC TV show in September 1973.

3 comments:

  1. What a find! I've scoured the internet looking for a single Joe Walsh Demo, or studio out-take. There's nothing! I'd love to be proved wrong! Seriously, there's not one snippet. Niet, nadda.
    So, this is a real insight into the Barnstorm era, The vocals are a bit 'hot' !! Maybe but this is a hot piece all over. Whatcha gonna do.
    Thanks for this. If you have any more Joe Walsh I'd love to hear it.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.
    I've been looking for an audio rip of The James Gans at Vets-Aid.
    I wonder if you've got one? It looks a smoking show, it was streamed but is no longer available. I can't find a copy anywhere

    https://www.nationwidearena.com/events/detail/vets-aid

    ReplyDelete