Monday, June 12, 2023

Bob Marley & the Wailers - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1973-1980

A few days ago, I posted a BBC album of Bob Marley and the Wailers from 1973. But I screwed up. I'm not quite sure what I posted, but it's not what I said it was. Luckily, an alert commenter noticed the problem and alerted me. So please delete your version, if you have one (just as I've deleted that post). Instead, I'm replacing it with two BBC albums. This one isn't really the replacement for what I posted. This contains BBC studio sessions, plus some TV appearances at the end. All of it remains officially unreleased. But the other volume I'll be posting is a BBC concert that more directly replaces my mistaken post.

Bob Marley and the Wailers did two BBC sessions with DJ John Peel in 1973. The first session took place on May 1, 1973, and make up the first tracks here. That same day, they also filmed an appearance for the BBC TV show "The Old Grey Whistle Test." They played two songs, "Stir It Up" and "Concrete Jungle." I've only included "Stir It Up" as track four, because they did "Concrete Jungle" at the Peel session that same day. Also, it's probable that the "Old Grey Whistle Test" performance was only a live vocal done to prerecorded instrumental version.

In November 1973, they did another BBC sessions hosted by Peel. That makes up tracks five through seven. Their album "Burnin'" had just been released and they were promoting that (although only the song "Get Up, Stand Up" was from that album). Note that at this point, the Wailers still included Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer, although it was the last album with them.

Those seven songs only total 28 minutes. So I've added some more live TV appearances done in later years. They weren't on TV much, and sometimes when they were they had to do lip-syncing. So these are all the real live TV appearances I could find. I've included a second version of "Kinky Reggae" since there are so few TV appearances like this. Two of the four TV appearances - "Exodus" and "Satisfy My Soul" - are BBC performances on the show "Top of the Pops." Many artists did lip-syncing for that show, but I double checked and these two were actually live.

This album is 40 minutes long.

01 Concrete  Jungle (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
02 Rastaman Chant (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
03 Slave Driver (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
04 Stir It Up (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
05 Kinky Reggae (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
06 Can't Blame the Youth (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
07 Get Up, Stand Up (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
08 Kinky Reggae (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
09 Exodus (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
10 Satisfy My Soul (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
11 Redemption Song (Bob Marley & the Wailers)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15328805/BobMar_1973a1980_BBSessionsVolum1_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is a screenshot I took from the "Old Grey Whistle Test" version of "Stir It Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment