Thursday, June 22, 2023

Led Zeppelin - Earls Court, London, Britain, 5-24-1975

Since there seems to be a lot of interest, I've resolved to plug the biggest remaining holes when it comes to live Led Zeppelin sooner rather than later. Most critically, I want at least one show from their 1975 and 1977 tours. Here's something for the 1975 tour.

There are lots of soundboard bootlegs from the 1975, but it was kind of a no-brainer to pick a concert from Earl's Court. They were the largest and most important concerts in the band's history up until that point. There's even a Wikipedia page on the concerts:

Earls Court 1975 - Wikipedia 

Here's what author Dave Lewis had to say about the concert, from a book he wrote about the band:

"When Led Zeppelin undertook the series of five shows at London's Earl's Court Arena on May of 1975 they were at the very peak of their creative powers. Spurred on by the critical and commercial success of their sixth album, the double set 'Physical Graffiti,' each show they played took on event-like proportions. The 17,000 capacity Earls Court afforded them the luxury to showcase in the best possible setting, the sheer enormity of their stage act. Over five nights of May 1975 Zeppelin delivered perhaps the most impressive series of shows of their entire career ... Photographic images from the shows still light up the pages of countless Zep features and books, bootleg performances are eagerly snapped up, and the official video footage of the gigs projects the sheer magnitude and power of Led Zeppelin in full flight more than any other surviving film of the group."

As mentioned in that quote, there were five Earls Court concerts, on May 17th, 18th, 23rd, 24th, and 25th. Die-hard fans consider the May 17th and 18th shows the best in terms of performance, but the only soundboards that have reached the public are from the 24th and 25th. Video footage of a few songs from the 25th show were released on the 2003 DVD "Led Zeppelin." I chose to feature the 24th here because fans generally consider that the better performance, and there are fewer problems with the recording.

The sound quality is excellent. The only problems had to do with the songs "Going to California" and "That's the Way." For some reason, the soundboard of all of the first song and the beginning of the second song doesn't exist. There is an audience bootleg, so people have used that to fill in the gap. However, in my opinion, the sound quality is way worse, and I didn't like it. So instead I used the soundboard versions from the next night, May 25th. 

There were a couple of problems with that though. Both versions of those songs began with lots of cheering, but the lead in from the previous track had no cheering. So I used the audio editing program UVR5 to get rid of the cheering for the first ten seconds or so on each song. Also, lead singer Robert Plant talked some between the two songs on the 24th, but there was apparently no talking on the 25th. So I included the talking from the 24th, using the audience bootleg for that. I used UVR5 again to get rid of as much background noise and cheering during the talking as possible. Even so, the sound quality of that talking is noticeably worse than anything else here. For "That's the Way," I spliced the two versions together about twenty seconds into the song, so that vast majority of that comes from this show, the 24th. All of that is why three tracks have "[Edit]" in their titles.

I also edited down some of the cheering. For instance, after "Stairway to Heaven," there was an encore break of about seven minutes of cheering. That's way too much applause for me, so I cut that down to more like two minutes.

There are different versions of this bootleg circulating with slightly different mixes. I read up on what fans consider the best version. I ended up going with the "Watch Tower" version.

This album is a whopping three hours and 31 minutes long! This was a time of rock and roll excess, not long before punk rock came along and shook things up. So, for instance, "Dazed and Confused" is 33 minutes long, and "Moby Dick," which is basically a drum solo, is 28 minutes long. But the concert also has an acoustic set of short songs in the middle of the show.

01 talk by Nicky Horne (Led Zeppelin)
02 Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin)
03 Sick Again (Led Zeppelin)
04 talk (Led Zeppelin)
05 Over the Hills and Far Away (Led Zeppelin)
06 talk (Led Zeppelin)
07 In My Time of Dying (Led Zeppelin)
08 talk (Led Zeppelin)
09 The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin)
10 The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin)
11 talk (Led Zeppelin)
12 Kashmir (Led Zeppelin)
13 talk (Led Zeppelin)
14 No Quarter (Led Zeppelin)
15 talk (Led Zeppelin)
16 Tangerine (Led Zeppelin)
17 talk (Led Zeppelin)
18 Going to California [Edit] (Led Zeppelin)
19 talk [Edit] (Led Zeppelin)
20 That's the Way [Edit] (Led Zeppelin)
21 talk (Led Zeppelin)
22 Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (Led Zeppelin)
23 talk (Led Zeppelin)
24 Trampled Underfoot (Led Zeppelin)
25 talk (Led Zeppelin)
26 Moby Dick (Led Zeppelin)
27 talk (Led Zeppelin)
28 Dazed and Confused - Woodstock - Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin)
29 talk (Led Zeppelin)
30 Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)
31 talk (Led Zeppelin)
32 Whole Lotta Love - Turn On Your Love Light (Led Zeppelin)
33 Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)
34 talk (Led Zeppelin)

https://www.imagenetz.de/dhVWU

The cover is based on a promotional poster. Basically, the band had just played a tour of North America, and only played these five shows in Britain. They were then going to do a tour of South America (which ultimately got cancelled due to Robert Plant getting in a car accident). To appease British fans outside of London, the band arranged for special trains to pick up and return fans from other towns just for the concerts. So the poster was promoting that - you can see a map of the train lines towards the bottom.

I had to make some adjustments to get the rectangular poster to fit into the square space. I cropped off part of the bottom, but that wasn't enough. I had to stretch things a bit, so the band name and the little train illustration is a bit distorted. I kept the text mostly the same, but I replaced a mention of all five dates with just May 24, 1975, and I moved the mention of ticket prices from a section below that I cropped off.

19 comments:

  1. By the way, for the 1977 tour, I'm leaning on posting the famous "Destroyer" concert in Cleveland. Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this is 24/96 from the master reels first gen if you need a fantastic copy. This was the first Zep boot I ever got...so the Destroyer album has always had a special place in my heart!

      Delete
    2. Sure, a fantastic copy would be good. My plan has been to use the "Maximum Destroyer" version, but maybe yours is better.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this D/L, The older I get, I don't want to mess around looking for the best of this and that. You have done great work with your "tweaking" on several previous live recordings that I now have. So, a "best" from the Led Zep 1975 tour is a winner in my book. Looking forward to 1977. Your work is very much appreciated. Whether you do it out of love for music, it's an addictive hobby or your just bored, keep creating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found it very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to bootleg and rare recordings. Since I'm kind of a music fanatic, I want to share what I've discovered over many years so people don't have to waste time figuring out stuff I've already figured out. This blog is all about helping people find the best music out there, stuff that should be good enough for official release.

      Delete
  3. I did send you my incredibly detailed PDF on the best led zed boots, Didn't I? I also have them all if you want to work your magic on any more. The PDF is a fun read on it's own. Here it is again if you need it:
    https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/WekBOjJHzn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to reach you on Discord for many days. I was starting to wonder if you're still alive. Please check your Discord messages!

      Delete
    2. Seeing you show up here reminds me, as my work stresses have simply locked me away in isolation, about that Girl From Ipanema thing I tasked you with...last year?...I simply assume you have been way busy, if Paul is asking after you LOL

      Delete
    3. Here ya go...Enjoy!!
      hXXps://spaces.hightail.com/receive/8g61Ig042R
      replace XX with tt

      Delete
  4. and don't forget I somehow have a duplicate discord that I can't access. and the one that's on my computer I check infrquently...sorry. the Girl is still on my desktop taunting me! I've been so busy lately with a very very complex project that's a real headache! I am working on the ultimate version of the song ALL THINGS MUST PASS by george harrison. I have over 27 takes that I have removed tidbits and snippets from. most of these takes are recorded at different speeds. I am in the process of making multitracks from each take and then slowing or speeding them up to match the base instrumental I decided to use. I've got about 200 pieces of vocals that i need to careful place over the instrumental bed. Definitely a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If any of your previously posted works have shown, you are a perfectionist when you let it, even to your own detriment, but in being so, you end up making something amazing, like the Lennon's duet on Imagine. Ergo why I brought the GFI 'duet' to you, figuring that if you could bridge decades and brilliantly bring father and son into the same 'room', maybe you could give my idea flight I couldn't begin to imagine how to myself. I still can sort of hear it flexing its wings in the nest of the merged acapella you sent me as progress, and as long as she's still staring at you, I figure it's in safe hands and maybe by or in the new year, another miraculous 'impossible' duet can appear. 👍🏻

      Delete
    2. And that UberATMP sounds of interest as well, as if you needed more pressure, right? 😜

      Delete
  5. it's like i'm in that titanic sub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, as long as we're here discussing projects that rip your head off and crap down your own throat in frustration, how are you about Metallica and the Super Mario Brothers? I have another absolutely insane project idea I think might be an entertaining diversion from FrankenHarrison's Everything, Everywhere All Things Must Pass All At Once...I think I do still have your Gmail from the Ipanema project, so if it might be of interest, I'll thumbnail sketch you the info and parameters per se. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, all this makes me ask the question, Mr. Solof, have you heard SonicLoveNoize's full Beatles take of ATMP for his updated Get Back..also last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have no opinion on the metalic mario bros. I like some metallica and that is where it ends. Sonic is awesome! I've even made a few of my own versions of ATMP as mike mixes for my now defunct (SOB) weekly beatles radio show. If you would like me to do an album or 4 of mikes mixes...I'm more than happy to (and it doesn't hurt that they are already done! LOL. I'd love an outlet to post my beatles stuff! not much progress due to time constraints on the All things must pass Ultimate harmony version. It's so big and scary. and this from the guy who spent over 70 hours doing a mikes mix of the Abbey Road Medley!

      Delete
  8. ps ... here's a sample of 5 mikes mixes I'm extremely proud of:
    https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/HMPPeid5kI

    ReplyDelete