Wednesday, April 28, 2021

The Moody Blues - BBC Sessions, Volume 2: 1967-1968

Volume 2 of the Moody Blues' BBC sessions is drastically different from Volume 1. In 1965 and 1966, the British band focused on R&B music. They discovered a new style with their 1967 album "Days of Future Passed," helped along by a change of personnel. They've maintained that poppy progressive rock sound ever since.

Ten of the 13 songs here come from the official album "Live at the BBC, 1967-1970." I've augmented that with a few songs I've found from other radio or TV shows. The first song, "I Really Haven't Got the Time," is from a French TV show. Both it and the second song "Fly Me High" appear on Volume 1 in this series as well, in different versions. Both of those songs are important as transitional works between the two versions of the band. You can hear key differences in the different versions, which is why I've included multiple versions when I rarely do that.

The songs "I've Got a Dream" and "Bye Bye Bird" come from a 1968 French TV show. I've posted that entire show on this blog already. You can find that here:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2021/02/the-moody-blues-ce-soir-on-danse-ortf.html

I've included two those here as well because they're the only two songs from that show that weren't otherwise played at a BBC session featured here. Note that a different version of "Bye Bye Bird" was also on Volume 1. Again, I include both because they're considerably different from each other.

01 I Really Haven't Got the Time (Moody Blues)
02 Fly Me High (Moody Blues)
03 Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Moody Blues)
04 Love and Beauty (Moody Blues)
05 Leave This Man Alone (Moody Blues)
06 Peak Hour (Moody Blues)
07 Nights in White Satin (Moody Blues)
08 I’ve Got a Dream (Moody Blues)
09 Bye Bye Bird (Moody Blues)
10 Twilight Time [Evening] (Moody Blues)
11 Ride My See-Saw (Moody Blues)
12 The Best Way to Travel (Moody Blues)
13 Voices in the Sky (Moody Blues)

https://www.imagenetz.de/akejm

Before I say anything else about the cover art, please take a moment to compare how the band looks here versus how it looks on the cover of Volume 1. Talk about a total transformation! I don't know anything about where this cover art photo comes from, but judging by their outfits and hair I think it's a good guess that it's from 1967. I changed the background from white to yellow to make a better contrast with the band name lettering.

2 comments:

  1. I think we can all agree... fashion at that time was pretty silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how many people in bands like that actually dressed like that all the time, and how many just showed up like that for concerts and photo shoots.

      Delete