Sunday, April 25, 2021

KT Tunstall - Cover Songs, Volume 6: 2020

A while back, I posted five albums of KT Tunstall playing cover songs, from the start of her career in 2005 to 2019. But time moves on, and now I finally have enough material for an album from 2020. May she keep performing new covers, so I'll have material for more albums in this series.

As I've mentioned with previous albums in this series, Tunstall grew up in the 1980s and 1990s, and often plays cover songs from those decades. Thus you get things like "The Rhythm of the Night," a 1993 hit by the Italian dance pop group Corona (yet which Tunstall does in a solo acoustic format). But she does reach further back occasionally, such as her versions of "Roadhouse Blues," "Changes," and "Twist and Shout." "Teddy Bear's Picnic" is an unexpected choice, with that song going back to 1907 (with the lyrics added in the 1930s). 

Most or all of the songs here date from the coronavirus pandemic lockdown. As a result, she often played this songs in a solo acoustic format from her home, usually for radio or Internet appearances. But some songs feature a full band, such as "Roadhouse Blues." Note also that all the songs are officially unreleased, with the exception of "Hymn to Her," which comes from a various artists compilation album. That said, in my opinion, the sound quality is generally very high here, since these do generally come from radio or Internet appearances instead of concert bootlegs. 

Here's a list of the original artists for each song:

01 A Little Respect - Erasure
02 Closer to Fine - Indigo Girls
03 [I've Had] The Time of My Life - Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
04 I Don't Wanna Grow Up - Tom Waits
05 Teddy Bear's Picnic - John Walter Brannon / Jimmy Kennedy
06 The Rhythm of the Night - Corona
07 Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
08 Roadhouse Blues - Doors
09 Changes - David Bowie
10 Twist and Shout - Isley Brothers
11 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
12 Hymn to Her - Pretenders

Here's the usual song list:

01 A Little Respect (KT Tunstall)
02 Closer to Fine (KT Tunstall)
03 [I've Had] The Time of My Life (KT Tunstall & Gary Barlow)
04 I Don't Wanna Grow Up (KT Tunstall & Tom Seals)
05 Teddy Bear's Picnic (KT Tunstall)
06 The Rhythm of the Night (KT Tunstall & Bob [Roberta Pia])
07 Girls Just Want to Have Fun (KT Tunstall & Mikaela Shiffrin)
08 Roadhouse Blues (KT Tunstall & Vintage Trouble)
09 Changes (KT Tunstall)
10 Twist and Shout (KT Tunstall)
11 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (KT Tunstall with Pomplamoose)
12 Hymn to Her (KT Tunstall)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15603127/KTTnstl_2020_CovrSngsVol6_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from a concert in July 2020. Concerts at that time were very rare due to the pandemic, but this one took place at a drive-in theater, with the audience members in their cars.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Paul, just a minor thing: Track three is indeed "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", the classic from Dirty Dancing, but the original artists are of course Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes, not Green Day. The Green Day song is "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)", so I can see how you might'vee gotten your wires crossed.

    Cheers,

    OBG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, I wrote that without double checking first. I've fixed the mention now.

      Delete
  2. I've seen her do 2 bust outs at concerts (ones she had never played live before, and I. These cases, hadn't played since). Girls Just Wanna Have Fun with the 4 opening girls at Girls Night Out Cary, NC 5/21/22 (I got the whole concert on video from front row center. On YT). And The Times They Are a Changing at 3rd & Lindsley in Nashville, my first KT show, 11/6/18. There are two different partial videos from that show by some people, both have the Dylan.

    ReplyDelete