Saturday, April 24, 2021

The Troggs - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1966-1967

The Troggs are a band that I feel tends to get overlooked. These days, they're mainly known for four big hit songs: "Wild Thing," "With a Girl like You," "I Can't Control Myself," and "Love Is All Around." They had a few more hits on top of those, and they wrote most of their own songs (with "Wild Thing" being a notable exception). But still, they tend to be treated, well, if not a one-hit wonder, then a four-hit wonder. But while I'm not a huge fan of theirs, I think they're more interesting than that. I checked to see what they did for the BBC, and I was pleasantly surprised to find there's enough for two albums.

In a way, the Troggs are like one of the world's most successful garage bands. Most of their songs are simple and primal. It's curious that they didn't write "Wild Thing," because it's exactly in line with the kinds of songs they did write. They can get repetitive after a while, but I think this BBC collection is just enough Troggs music without them overstaying their welcome. Between this album and the second volume, it's a de facto best of collection.

Pretty much every song here was released by them on albums and/or singles, but of course these performances are all different. I had the usual problem of BBC DJs talking over the beginnings or ends of songs, but I fixed those with my usual editing techniques. The ones I changed have "[Edit]" in their titles. 

This album is 40 minutes long.

01 From Home (Troggs)
02 Wild Thing (Troggs)
03 Jaguar and the Thunderbird (Troggs)
04 The Yella in Me (Troggs)
05 Evil [Edit} (Troggs)
06 With a Girl like You (Troggs)
07 Lost Girl [Edit] (Troggs)
08 Dimples [Edit] (Troggs)
09 You Can't Beat It [Edit] (Troggs)
10 I Can't Control Myself (Troggs)
11 I Just Sing [Edit] (Troggs)
12 Any Way that You Want Me (Troggs)
13 66-5-4-3-2-1 [Edit] [I Know What You Want] (Troggs)
14 I Can Only Give You Everything [Edit] (Troggs)
15 Give It to Me (Troggs)
16 Meet Jacqueline [Edit] (Troggs)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16049294/TTrggs_1966-1967_BBCSessionsVol1_atse.zip.html

The album cover photo dates to about 1966. I found an interesting photo of the band hamming it up, pretending trouble with getting out of an elevator.

No comments:

Post a Comment