Saturday, April 17, 2021

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity - This Wheel's on Fire - Non-Album Tracks (1968-1969)

Yesterday, I posted a stray tracks collection from Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and the Trinity. (Yes, that their unwieldy band name.) That dealt with the years 1966 and 1967. This continues where that left off, and deals with the years 1968 and 1969. The band broke up after that, and Driscoll switched musical styles, so that's where things end.

I wasn't alive at the time, but I understand this band was quite big in Britain in the late 1960s, with Driscoll in particular being known as a fashion trend setter as well as her vocals. They released a bunch of singles, but only one was a big hit: "This Wheel's on Fire" (originally by Bob Dylan and the Band) made it to the Top Five (though it didn't even reach the Top 100 in the US). Five of the songs here are A-sides, and there's one B-side.

The rest of the songs are officially unreleased. Generally speaking, these are cover versions the band played in concert but didn't put on album. (Note that most of the songs the band in general were covers.) "I'm a Believer" and "Come On Up" come from a TV special called "33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee" that was supposed to feature the Monkees, but it wound up featuring this band prominently as well. "I'm a Believer" is sung with Micky Dolenz of the Monkees, but done very different from the famous hit version. "Knock on Wood" is from another TV show, and is essentially a duet between Driscoll and Chris Farlowe.

Three of the songs here, and one from the earlier stray tracks album, are from BBC performances. I plan to later post an album of all this band's surviving BBC sessions. It'll include those exact four performances again, but many other songs too. Two of the songs have "Edit" in their titles, because I used the X-Minus sound editing program to remove some talking that was over the music.

This album is 49 minutes long.

UPDATE: On February 26, 2022, I updated the mp3 download file. I added the song "Jeannine." This song remained in the vaults until 2022, when it was included on an archival release called "Auger Incorporated." I don't know what year it dates from, but I'm guessing late 1968, since that release is organized chronologically and I can figure out the songs around it.

01 I Am a Lonesome Hobo (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
02 Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
03 This Wheel's on Fire (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
04 I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
05 I Don't Know Where You Are (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
06 The Road to Cairo (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
07 Shadows of You (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
08 After Loving You [Edit] (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
09 I'm Not Talkin' (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
10 Old Jim Crow (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
11 Jeannine (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
12 I'm a Believer (Micky Dolenz & Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
13 Come On Up [Edit] (Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
14 Knock on Wood (Chris Farlowe & Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity)
15 What You Gonna Do (Brian Auger & the Trinity)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15110991/JulieDris_1968-1969_ThisWheelsonFre_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from a TV show appearance from that era, though I don't know the details. Obviously, some genius set designer thought "The hit song is 'This Wheel's on Fire' - let's do circles!" ;) I took the band name from some single artwork to add to the period flavor. I also added the record company logo, since that was put on the band's albums at the time too.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you! These are a totally unexpected treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this group, this is a great round up of non-LP songs. They featured on one more TV show that is very hard to find a copy of called Innocence, Anarchy & Soul (Oct 1968), it has a least one track that is not available anywhere else. https://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/4387/innocence-anarchy-soul
    Bits of it are on YouTube. Maybe your deep sources could find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for sharing these rare recordings of the great Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll. Without her, The Trinity lost a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there... This looks great (I "discovered" Auger from that Monkees special and it made me a fan), but when I try to download I'm getting weird alerts about the site being "suspicious." When I click through anyhow (Because I trust you) I get additional pop ups saying an extension may be required? Usually, downloading from you is a breeze. Any chance you could take a look at this? Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind... On the fourth of fifth try it finally worked, no redirect. Weird. Anyhow, thanks again for all the music and creativity you share!

      Delete