Saturday, April 17, 2021

Herman's Hermits - BBC Sessions, Volume 2: 1966-1967

Here's the second of four volumes of Herman's Hermits at the BBC. I've already made the case for not overlooking this band in two previous posts, so I won't repeat myself here. But to sum it up in one sentence, if you like British Invasion pop by the likes of the Hollies, don't overlook this band (despite their lightweight reputation and dumb name). 

Out of the four BBC volumes I'm posting here, I think volume one is the weakest. This one is markedly better. How anyone can dislike a song like "No Milk Today" - written by the great Graham Gouldman - is beyond me. In fact, this band probably covered more Gouldman songs than any other. He also wrote a few others here, such as "Listen, People" and "East West."

I'm not that familiar with every last song by this band, so I don't always know which songs here were only done in BBC versions. But I do know there were at least a couple here that are unique, such as "All Thing Things I Do for You Baby," "Little Boy Sad," "Tell Her," and the Tim Hardin classic "If I Were a Carpenter."

As with all these volumes, every single performance here remains officially unreleased. I had the usual problem of BBC DJs talking over the starts of some songs, but I got lucky with this volume, as there are only four such cases (marked with "[Edit]" in the title). As usual, I did my best to edit those voices out.

01 Listen, People (Herman's Hermits)
02 You Won't Be Leaving (Herman's Hermits)
03 Got a Feeling [Edit] (Herman's Hermits)
04 This Door Swings Both Ways (Herman's Hermits)
05 For Love (Herman's Hermits)
06 The George and Dragon (Herman's Hermits)
07 Little Boy Sad [Edit] (Herman's Hermits)
08 Je Suis Anglais [L'Autre Jour] [Edit] (Herman's Hermits)
09 No Milk Today (Herman's Hermits)
10 All Thing Things I Do for You Baby (Herman's Hermits)
11 East West (Herman's Hermits)
12 Dial My Number (Herman's Hermits)
13 There's a Kind of Hush (Herman's Hermits)
14 Jezebel (Herman's Hermits)
15 My Reservation's Been Confirmed [Edit] (Herman's Hermits)
16 If I Were a Carpenter (Herman's Hermits)
17 Tell Her (Herman's Hermits)
18 I Can Take or Leave Your Loving (Herman's Hermits)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15291754/HermansH_1966-1967_BBSessionsVolum2_atse.zip.html

The album cover photo dates to August 1966.

2 comments:

  1. Absolute agreement on a number like "No Milk Today" - if you don't love that, no matter the band name, you don't love 60's pop? Period.

    Keep these coming, Paul, I'm happy do dip a little further than the hits, hipsterdom be damned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, but... there's something strange with the Zippyshare-page
    that makes the download impossible (at least for me...)
    My antivirus warns me....

    ReplyDelete