Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow Sings the Rolling Stones - Non-Album Tracks (1993-2019)

The other day, when I was getting ready to post the latest Sheryl Crow stray tracks album I'd made, I noticed there was a cover of a Rolling Stones song on it, and that got me to thinking about the many Rolling Stones covers she's done over the years. There was the ideal amount for an album roughly 45 minutes long. So I gathered them all together, and voila, here we are.

Virtually all the songs here are officially unreleased, except for two. One is "Not Fade Away," which was released as an A-side only. The other is a duet with Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards on the Rolling Stones song "The Worst" from Crow's 2019 album "Threads." With the exception of that song, all the songs come from my various Crow stray tracks collections, including some I haven't posted here yet (as I write this in November 2020). 

If you're a Sheryl Crow fan, hopefully you'll still collect all those other albums. But I think it's fun to hear all the Stones covers together. Not only are the songs great, but this is about as rocking as Crow gets, and she really rocks here. 

It turns out Crow is a massive Rolling Stones fan. So she must be extremely delighted by the fact that she's appeared on stage with the band many, many times, from the first year of her commercial breakthrough in 1994 until the current day. She's often appeared as an opening act for them, and then joined the band to sing a duet with lead vocalist Mick Jagger during the Stones portion of the show. I've only included a couple of those duets, mostly because she's tended to duet on the same songs over and over again.

All of the songs here are written by the Stones, with one exception: "Not Fade Away." I included that that song, originally by Buddy Holly, because it's closely associated with the Stones. It was their breakthrough hit in Britain, hitting number three there.

By the way, I hesitated about including "Gimme Shelter." That's because it's not a full performance of the song. In concert, she has often played a section of the song as the second half of a medley with her own song "Gasoline." I decided what the heck, why not include it? But beware that it's only about half of the song.

This includes almost all the Rolling Stones covers Crow did that I know of. For the stray tracks compilation "Be Still My Soul," I included her version of "Dead Flowers" (as a duet with Bonnie Raitt), but I didn't include that here due to sound quality issues. If there are any others I missed, please let me know.

I've posted another album with a similar concept to this one: "Heart Plays Led Zeppelin." You can find that here:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2020/01/heart-heart-plays-led-zeppelin-various.html

If you can think of any other good ideas for an album of one artist doing the songs on another artist, please let me know. Maybe I'll like the idea and post such an album here. (But then again, maybe not!)

01 Happy (Sheryl Crow)
02 Live with Me (Rolling Stones & Sheryl Crow)
03 Get Off of My Cloud (Sheryl Crow)
04 Let It Bleed (Sheryl Crow)
05 Sway (Sheryl Crow)
06 Bitch (Sheryl Crow with Eddie Van Halen & the All-Star Garage Band)
07 The Last Time (Sheryl Crow & Jakob Dylan)
08 Honky Tonk Women (Sheryl Crow & Pat Benatar)
09 Wild Horses (Rolling Stones & Sheryl Crow)
10 Not Fade Away (Sheryl Crow)
11 Gimme Shelter (Sheryl Crow)
12 All Down the Line (Sheryl Crow with Chuck Leavell & the Roots)
13 The Worst (Sheryl Crow with Keith Richards)
14 Tumbling Dice (Sheryl Crow)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15285130/SherylC_1993-2019_SherylCSingsRllingStnes_atse.zip.html

For the cover art, I thought it would be fitting to use a photo of Crow and one or more of the Stones together. I looked around and found this one of Crow dueting with Mick Jagger during a Stones concert in Chicago in 2013.

10 comments:



  1. Not exactly what you are asking for, but I think it is close enough to suggest it.

    I have been playing around with expanding Richard Thompson's 1,000 Years of Popular Music project to include other traditional/cover songs he has done. You could make a pretty amazing alternate version of the released version.

    For example, here is a list of songs that don't include anything from the RT box set or from the cd included in the 1,000 Years DVD (I use both of those in my playlist, but you might not consider them fair game for this site). I am sure you could add even more options.

    Worldes Blis Ne Last- Tracks
    Flowers of the Forest - Doom and Gloom
    Cutty Wren- Thompson Family Christmas or Live at the BBC
    The Banks of the Nile-?
    Loch Lomond- Invisible Means
    The Coo Coo Bird- The Harry Smith Project Live, Vol 1
    Mingulay Boat Song- Rogue's Gallery
    Les Flammes dEnfer- Evangeline Made
    William Brown- Live at the BBC
    Don't Stop the Music- Tracks
    Here Without You- Time Between Tribute to the Byrds
    Season of the Witch- Crossing Jordon soundtrack
    Story of Isaac- Sincerly, L. Cohen
    Woodstock- An All Star Tribute to Joni Mitchell
    Black Crow- An All Star Tribute to Joni Mitchell


    Also, Annihilation in Allah from Henry Kaiser's "Hope you like our new direction" album is a cover sung by Thompson. I put in on a mix of FFKT songs, but it might also fit here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you mention that, because I actually HAVE made an alternate version of 1000 Years. Except it's even better than you suggest, because it's from bootlegs of his actual 1000 Years concerts. He's changed the songs from year to year and from show to show, so I've collected the different ones. Since you're interested, I'll try to post that soon.

      Delete
    2. Actually, now that I think about it, I have THREE albums of his 1000 Years project. The first one is largely the same as the album version, but with some added bits. Here's the song list to the second one:

      01. Worlds Blis Ne Last [1200s] (Richard Thompson)
      02. talk (Richard Thompson)
      03. Bonnie St. Johnstone [unknown] (Richard Thompson)
      04. talk (Richard Thompson)
      05. O Sleep Fond Fancy [Thomas Morley, 1597] (Richard Thompson)
      06. talk (Richard Thompson)
      07. Remember O Thou Man [Thomas Ravenscroft, 1609] (Richard Thompson)
      08. talk (Richard Thompson)
      09. Full Fathom Five [Robert Johnson, 1611] (Richard Thompson)
      10. talk (Richard Thompson)
      11. A-Begging I Will Go [1817 or earlier] (Richard Thompson)
      12. talk (Richard Thompson)
      13. Hobo Bill's Last Ride [Jimmie Rodgers, 1929] (Richard Thompson)
      14. talk (Richard Thompson)
      15. Night and Day [Cole Porter, 1932] (Richard Thompson)
      16. talk (Richard Thompson)
      17. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter [Fats Waller, 1935] (Richard Thompson)
      18. talk (Richard Thompson)
      19. Java Jive [The Ink Spots, 1941] (Richard Thompson)
      20. talk (Richard Thompson)
      21. London Pride [Noel Coward, 1941] (Richard Thompson)
      22. You'll Never Walk Alone [Rodgers and Hammerstein, 1945] (Richard Thompson with Judith Owens)
      23. talk (Richard Thompson)
      24. Don't Stop the Music [George Jones, 1957] (Richard Thompson)
      25. Ring of Fire [Johnny Cash, 1963] (Richard Thompson)
      26. talk (Richard Thompson)
      27. A-11 [Buck Owens, 1964] (Richard Thompson)
      28. talk (Richard Thompson)
      29. I Ain't Marching Anymore [Phil Ochs, 1965] (Richard Thompson)
      30. talk (Richard Thompson)
      31. See My Friends [The Kinks, 1965] (Richard Thompson)
      32. Walk Away Renee [The Left Banke, 1966] (Richard Thompson)
      33. talk (Richard Thompson)
      34. Friday on My Mind [The Easybeats, 1967] (Richard Thompson)
      35. There's Always Someone Cooler than You [Ben Folds Five, 2003] (Richard Thompson)
      36. talk (Richard Thompson)
      37. 1985 [Bowling for Soup, 2005] (Richard Thompson)

      Delete
    3. That is amazing. I would love to hear this if you get a chance to post it.

      Delete
    4. Also, what did you add to the first one?

      Delete
    5. He did his 1000 Years tours off and on for a bunch of years, 2001 to 2009, I think, and the set list gradually changed. The first wave of concerts matches the released album well. But I added some banter from bootlegs so that every single song is explained by him.

      Delete
    6. many thanks for this one! I collect thing like this.
      Giuseppe from Italy

      Delete