Monday, November 2, 2020

Please Vote!

I've said in the past that I'm a very politically progressive person. I've tried hard to keep this blog just on music, and that is my general intention. But as I write this, it's just one day to presidential election day in the US. If you're a US citizen and you haven't voted yet, I can't resist encouraging you to vote, and especially to vote Donald Trump out of office!

I probably would have said more and posted more about this election except for the fact that Joe Biden has had a steady and clear lead in the polls, and nearly everyone has made up their minds anyway. That said, it really does matter if you vote. Did you know that in 2017, whether the Virginia state senate went Democratic or Republican came down to a single vote in a single local election? It's true. And that had big implications about the laws that could or couldn't get passed for the next year or two.

But more than that, there's the "people like you" theory. Basically, if you bother to vote, that means it's likely that people like you also will vote, and thus your interests will be represented. But if you don't, then people like you probably also won't bother, so your interests won't be represented.  Besides, I don't think you have grounds to complain about anything in US politics for the next four years if you don't bother to take half an hour out of your life to cast a vote.

Anyway, I encourage everyone to vote, no matter who you vote for. It's a basic civic duty, and the amount of time and effort involved is trivial compared to how important it is. But if you do vote, I strongly encourage you to choose Biden over Trump. I believe the fate of the country and even the world depends on this election. I think most people of both major political parties can at least agree on that much. That's why this election is on target to have a record turnout.

Okay, enough said. Back to the music.

Oh, one last thing. If you want the ideal music to listen to while Trump is hopefully voted out of office, please don't forget my compilation "Rock Trump Out." You can find that here:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2020/10/various-artists-rock-trump-out-volumes_24.html

9 comments: