Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Van Morrison - The Lion's Share, San Anselmo, CA, 8-8-1971

Here's the second of three Van Morrison concerts in the 1970-1971 time period that I want to post before I start posting my compilations of his live songs from the early 1970s. As I mentioned previously, I consider all three concerts "must have" recordings, both in terms of sound and performance quality.

This concert is from the Lion's Share, a club in San Anselmo, California, on August 8, 1971. The previous concert I posted, from the Fillmore West in April 1970, was over a year earlier, and mostly considered of live version of songs from the "Moondance" album. This song list is surprisingly different, with only one song ("These Dreams of You") played in both shows. There are a lot of rare cover versions ("Que Sera Sera," "Hound Dog," "Let It Be Me," "Just like a Woman" and "Buona Sera"), plus many songs from the "His Band and Street Choir" and "Tupelo Honey" albums. (The latter would be released two months later.) There's an additional treat in that the first four songs are performed acoustically.

Morrison actually performed two shows at the Lion's Share that night. However, the songs played in the two shows were nearly exactly the same. Thus, I've only included the second show here, plus one unique song from the first show, "I Wanna Roo You," placed at the beginning. A cover of "Tennessee Waltz" was also played in the first show, but I didn't include that because I've already included that exact performance in my album of Morrison's country songs from this time period, "Down by the Riverside," which you can find here:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2018/05/van-morrison-down-by-riverside-various.html

This album is an hour and 16 minutes long.

01 I Wanna Roo You [Acoustic Version] (Van Morrison)
02 Sweet Thing [Acoustic Version] (Van Morrison)
03 Street Choir [Acoustic Version] (Van Morrison)
04 Tupelo Honey [Acoustic Version] (Van Morrison)
05 Que Sera Sera [Whatever Will Be, Will Be] (Van Morrison)
06 Hound Dog (Van Morrison)
07 These Dreams of You (Van Morrison)
08 When That Evening Sun Goes Down (Van Morrison)
09 Let It Be Me (Van Morrison)
10 Moonshine Whiskey (Van Morrison)
11 Just like a Woman (Van Morrison)
12 I've Been Working (Van Morrison)
13 Gloria (Van Morrison)
14 Domino (Van Morrison)
15 Buona Sera (Van Morrison)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15257178/VanMrsn_1971_LionsShreSnAnselmoCA__8-8-1971_atse.zip.html

Thanks to Peter at the Albums I Wish Existed blog for the cover. Apparently, it's based on the cover of a bootleg of the show.

1 comment:

  1. Unrealted, but I did a cover for Praying the Game

    https://i.imgur.com/4rr1ukz.png

    ReplyDelete