Friday, November 23, 2018

David Bowie - Velvet Goldmine - Non-Album Tracks (1971-1972)

In 1971, Bowie released "Hunky Dory," followed by "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" in 1972. Both albums are considered all-time classics. Personally, this is my favorite Bowie era. So it's no surprise to me that the stray tracks from this time are high quality too.

If this had been a real album, I think it would be a  really solid one. The only snag is that it contains four cover songs ("Around and Around," "Amsterdam," "I'm Waiting for the Man," and "White Light-White Heat,") plus a remake of a song, "The Supermen," that had been first released only a year earlier. The remake came out at the time on a various artists compilation.

The famous hit song "All the Young Dudes" isn't a cover song, since it was written by Bowie. He gave the song to Mott the Hoople, and they had the hit with it. There are a few different versions from the time period sung by Bowie, live or studio. This version actually is the same as the hit version, except Bowie is singing guide vocals on it.

I've added one song only a bonus track, "I  Feel Free." It's another cover version. But my main problem is that is it's taken from an audience concert bootleg, and the sound quality is only okay.

01 All the Young Dudes (David Bowie & Mott the Hoople)
02 Around and Around (David Bowie)
03 Holy Holy (David Bowie)
04 Amsterdam (David Bowie)
05 Bombers (David Bowie)
06 The Supermen [Alternate Version] (David Bowie)
07 I'm Waiting for the Man (David Bowie)
08 Velvet Goldmine (David Bowie)
09 John, I'm Only Dancing (David Bowie)
10 Sweet Head (David Bowie)
11 White Light-White Heat (David Bowie)

I Feel Free (David Bowie)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15904900/DavidB_1971-1972_VelvtGoldmine_atse.zip.html

In November 2021, I changed the artwork for this album. I realized the previous version looked too similar to the cover for the Ziggy Stardust acoustic demos album. So instead, I used a different photo from 1972.

1 comment: