Friday, September 13, 2024

Steely Dan - VH-1 Storytellers, Sony Studios, New York City, 2-1-2000

Next up for the "VH-1 Storytellers" series is Steely Dan.

The band Steely Dan, basically a duo of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen plus supporting musicians, originally existed from 1971 to 1981. Even back then, they stopped touring by the end of 1974. But they reformed in 1993. At first, they just did some tours. But in 2000, they released their first studio album since 1980, "Two Against Nature." The last two songs here, "Cousin Dupree" and "What a Shame about Me," are from that album.

Everything here is officially unreleased. As usual for this series, I had to do a lot of editing, especially to get the applause at the ends of songs to flow naturally into the next track. As usual for this series, part of the first song, "FM (No Static at All)," was cut off. But unusually, most of another song, "Do It Again," was missing. This probably was the case on the TV show and not just the bootleg, since the total time for the episode was typical for the show. But I found alternate versions from other TV shows the band did in 2000, so now both of those can be heard in full. That's why those two have "[Edit]" in their titles (even though most of the rest of the tracks have at least minor edits too).

Becker and Fagen rarely talked much during their concerts, so it's especially welcome to see a lot of banter between songs here.

This album is 48 minutes long.

01 FM [No Static at All] [Edit] (Steely Dan)
02 talk (Steely Dan)
03 Peg (Steely Dan)
04 talk (Steely Dan)
05 Kid Charlemagne (Steely Dan)
06 talk (Steely Dan)
07 Bad Sneakers (Steely Dan)
08 talk (Steely Dan)
09 Josie (Steely Dan)
10 Do It Again [Edit] (Steely Dan)
11 talk (Steely Dan)
12 Cousin Dupree (Steely Dan)
13 talk (Steely Dan)
14 What a Shame about Me (Steely Dan)

https://www.upload.ee/files/17102810/STELYDN2000StrytllrsSnyStdosNwYrkC__2-1-2000_atse.zip.html

alternate link:

https://pixeldrain.com/u/wsq7yVF4

The cover is a screenshot of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen (with keyboard) from this exact concert.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I had an older boot of this and the sound was terrible, like it had been recorded off the TV with a mike in front of the speaker. So I appreciate this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, love the Dan! Keep the Dan coming. I have a couple of copies of this one, but yours are always so much better and more complete. Thanks again, G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I again must thank my maker I wasn't given the audiophile model ears that would make your many little edits you say are all over this apparent, because all I hear is a Steely Dan concert that in my sentimentality (see my comments on the post about The Bear album) and some grief (my cat passed away Tuesday) is something I'm enjoying on a Saturday evening to feel some happiness. :) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fredrick...my condolences on your cat... I just sent over to Paul a recording (soundboard) from the same venue recorded the night before... A practice run of sorts for the concert above but with six additional songs. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with them!
      M

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul...why do think so many first songs are cut off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That had to be a deliberate choice on the part of the producers of the show. I've seen the complete videos for lots of these. It's not like the beginnings are cut off, I get the full videos, and yet the first song usually starts midway or near the end. Very strange.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing the Steely Dan edition of VH-1 Storytellers! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete