Friday, February 23, 2024

Supergrass - Believer - Non-Album Tracks (1995-1997)

I feel I've been remiss in not posting anything from the British band Supergrass. But there are so many great musical acts out there. Even after doing this blog over five years, there are many I haven't gotten to yet.

This is a collection of non-album tracks. It's the only such collection I have. For some reason, the band recorded a big surplus of songs while recording their first two albums, "I Should Coco" in 1995 and "In It for the Money" in 1997. In particular, when I got "In It for the Money" shortly after it came out, it came with a second disc of extra songs. Seven of the songs here come from that.

Supergrass is considered a "Britpop" band, and got popular in Britain around the same time as other Britpop bands like Oasis and Blur. Like the best of those bands, their music had a new style while still building on musical styles from the past, especially the 1960s. One can see that here by the fact that although most of the songs here are originals, the three covers, "Just Dropped In (To See What My Condition Was In)," "Stone Free," "Where Have All the Good Times Gone," are all from the 1960s.

All of the songs here have been officially released. Most of them are from B-sides. Only four are not, tracks five through eight. Those come from a 20th anniversary version of the "I Should Coco" album. Note that most of the others made it onto a later deluxe version of  "In It for the Money."

For some reason, the amount of non-album tracks seems to go way down after their first two albums. (The last song is actually from 1999.) Probably, they had a really big burst of creativity in this era. "In It for the Money" is my favorite album of theirs, and it's made its way to various best albums lists. For instance, readers of the British music magazine Q twice voted it one of the top 100 albums of all time. So I don't have any more non-album tracks collections from them planned. However, I do plan on posting more of their music, especially BBC material.

This album is 50 minutes long.

01 Sitting Up Straight (Supergrass)
02 Odd (Supergrass)
03 Wait for the Sun (Supergrass)
04 Sex (Supergrass)
05 Just Dropped In [To See What My Condition Was In] (Supergrass)
06 Stone Free (Supergrass)
07 I Believe in Love (Supergrass)
08 Where Have All the Good Times Gone (Supergrass)
09 Melanie Davis (Supergrass)
10 Nothing More's Gonna Get in My Way (Supergrass)
11 20ft Halo (Supergrass)
12 Je Suis Votre Papa Sucre (Supergrass)
13 Don't Be Cruel (Supergrass)
14 We Still Need More [Than Anyone Can Give] (Supergrass)
15 Believer (Supergrass)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16308231/SUPRGRSS1995-1997Blivr_atse.zip.html

I'm not quite sure what the story with the album cover is. The band's 1997 album "In It for the Money" has a cover that seems to have been used the vast majority of the time. But there's also an alternate cover, which is this one. All I did was remove that album title and replace it with a new title.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I really enjoy their music and always felt they didn't get the recognition they deserve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar idea a while ago, and collected every track I could find, ending up with a three disc set, so it you like this post then check out the rest of their output here. https://albumsiwishexisted2.blogspot.com/search/label/Supergrass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Wow, I had no idea they still had so many non album tracks after 1997. And I didn't notice you'd done those albums either. I might have to post more along these lines.

      Delete