Sunday, February 11, 2024

No Nukes Concerts, Madison Square Garden, New York City, 9-23-1979: Crosby, Stills and Nash

The fourteenth album I'm posting of the 1979 No Nukes concerts is a set by Crosby, Stills and Nash (CSN). I believe this is the longest of all the albums I'm posting for these concerts.

I previously posted a set by Graham Nash, from September 19, 1979. I'm not entirely sure, but I think what happened was that Nash performed solo sets for the first three nights, but then on the last night, he played as part of the CSN "supergroup" instead. This concert comes entirely from the Madison Square Garden show in New York City. CSN also played the Battery Park concert in New York City that day. But they seem to have only played four songs, and all of them were performed here as well, so I didn't see any reason to include them.

As a big CSN fan, I have long looked for a worthy concert recording from the 1977 tour, done in support of their 1977 album "CSN." However, I've only come across (very) partial soundboards. So this is probably the next best thing. Yes, it took place two years later, so the set list would have been pretty similar. Unfortunately though, they only played two songs from their "CSN" album ("Just a Song Before I Go" and "Cathedral"), leaning on earlier classics instead.

I ran into a problem with the song "Wooden Ships." By now, I must sound like a broken record, because the soundboard recording was missing a section. Something similar happened to probably a majority of the No Nukes albums I've posted. Anyway, like I usually did with these concerts, I patched in the missing bit with some of the audience bootleg. Luckily, in this case, the missing bit was just the first two minutes out of an eleven minute song, and all of that was before the lead vocals came in. The sound quality isn't terrible this time, probably helped by the fact that there were no vocals on that bit.

I'm pretty sure CSN's set was the last one of the night, based on the length as well as the fact that it ended with a cover of the John Hall song "Power." Like other final encores of this song in the concerts, they were joined by other stars who took turns singing some of the verses. 

This album is an hour and 21 minutes long.

01 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
02 Helplessly Hoping (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
03 Change Partners (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
04 You Don't Have to Cry (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
05 4 + 20 (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
06 Suite- Judy Blue Eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
07 Our House (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
08 Pre-Road Downs (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
09 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
10 Love the One You're With (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
11 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
12 Just a Song Before I Go (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
13 Long Time Gone (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
14 Cathedral (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
14 Wooden Ships [Edit] (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
16 Carry On (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
17 Chicago (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
18 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
19 Teach Your Children (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
20 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
21 Power (Crosby, Stills & Nash with John Hall. Michael McDonald, James Taylor & Jackson Browne)
22 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16254209/VA-NONUKS1979MdisnSqurGrdnNwYrkC__9-23-1979_CrsbyStllsnNshatse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from this exact concert. From right to left, that's David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and Graham Nash.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great setlist! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been waiting for this. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, much of my joy comes from your work! Eternal gratitude, my friend!

    ReplyDelete