Thursday, February 8, 2024

No Nukes Concerts, Madison Square Garden, New York City, 9-21-1979 to 9-23-1979: Sweet Honey in the Rock

This is the ninth album I'm posting from the 1979 No Nukes concerts. This time it's the gospel group Sweet Honey in the Rock.

I must admit I'm not much of a gospel music fan, so this isn't my cup of tea. But I want to include all the sets from the No Nukes concerts, even the ones I'm not that fond of. At least the songs here don't sound that overtly religious and sometimes have non-religious themes. At the time, the group was composed of four women, and sang acappella. (They later increased to five.) They also wrote most of their songs. They're still going as I write this in 2024, but they've gone through many personnel changes.

Here's their Wikipedia entry if you want to know more:

Sweet Honey in the Rock - Wikipedia

The first three tracks come from the September 21st concert at Madison Square Garden, in New York City. The remainder come from the September 23rd concert at Battery Park, also in New York City.

The song "A Woman" was included on the official No Nukes album. However, I know they played that song multiple times (including a set on September 20th that just repeats songs here), so I don't know if this version is the official one. Everything else is unreleased.

This album is 23 minutes long.

01 A Woman (Sweet Honey in the Rock)
02 talk (Sweet Honey in the Rock)
03 Echo (Sweet Honey in the Rock)
04 As Long as I Have Breath in My Body (Sweet Honey in the Rock)
05 talk (Sweet Honey in the Rock)
06 You Better Mind (Sweet Honey in the Rock)
07 Believe I'll Run On (Sweet Honey in the Rock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16250052/VA-NONUKS1979MdisnSqurGrdnNwYrkC__9-21___9-23-1979_SwetHonyinthRckatse.zip.html

The cover photo is not the best, but it was really damn hard finding any photos of the group in concert from around this time period. I found this photo in the booklet that came with the official album. It was small and low-res, but I did my best to enlarge and sharpen it. If anyone who has the album can scan in a higher quality version, please let me know.

1 comment: