Monday, February 19, 2024

Marti Jones & Don Dixon - Ram's Head, Annapolis, MD, 10-12-2001 (PREVIOUSLY UNCIRCULATED CONCERT)

I just posted a concert featuring a duo made up of a man and woman, and here's another one. This duo, unfortunately, is fairly obscure, but they should be much better known. This concert was recently given to me by my musical friend Lil Panda. It's an excellent sounding soundboard bootleg that has never been publicly shared before!

Marti Jones and Don Dixon are not exactly household names. They never had a hit album or single (although, in my world, Jones's song "Tourist Town" is a sure fire smash hit). They've released solo albums since the early 1980s, and a few albums as a duo. But although they generally recorded solo, they've usually toured together. No doubt that has something to do with the fact that they've been married together since 1988.

By the way, Dixon may be more famous as a producer than a solo artist. He was a key producer of the jangle pop movement of the 1980s, producing acts like R.E.M. and the Smithereens.

Here's his Wikipedia page:

Don Dixon (musician) - Wikipedia

And here's the page for Jones:

Marti Jones - Wikipedia 

My musical friend Lil Panda is a huge fan of Jones and Dixon, and he has great musical taste, so that should tell you something about how good they are. I wasn't really familiar with their music other than a few songs like "Tourist Town" and "Follow You All Over the World," so I asked him: if I were to listen to just one recording from them to get to know their music better, what would it be? He then sent me this concert. (They've never released a live album as a duo, which is a shame.) So it could serve as a good introduction to their music for you as well.

The vast majority of the songs are originals, with the Jones ones usually sung by Jones and the Dixon ones usually sung by Dixon, although they've collaborated a lot too. However, there are some interesting cover versions thrown in as well, such as "Fever," "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," "The Dark End of the Street," and "Your Cheatin' Heart." Some songs were done acoustically, but for most of them they were supported by a small band.

This album is an hour and 44 minutes long. 

Thanks again to Lil Panda for sharing this and making it publicly available.

01 Heart in a Box (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
02 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
03 Lifeboat (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
04 Achilles Heel (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
05 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
06 Invisible and Free (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
07 Then I Woke Up (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
08 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
09 Follow You All Over the World (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
10 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
11 Innocent Kiss (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
12 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
13 Any Kind of Lie (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
14 Do So Well (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
15 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
16 Once in a While (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
17 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
18 Always (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
19 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
20 Fever (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
21 Tax the Churches (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
22 Calling Out for Love (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
23 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
24 Tourist Town (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
25 Lewd Vagrancy (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
26 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
27 So Lonesome I Could Fly (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
28 Cheap Chatter (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
29 Inside These Arms (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
30 talk (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
31 You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
32 Girls L.T.D. (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
33 The Dark End of the Street (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)
34 Your Cheatin' Heart (Marti Jones & Don Dixon)

https://www.imagenetz.de/avcos

I had a very hard time finding a good photo of them as a duo that wasn't from the last ten years or so. I don't know the details of where and when this one I found is from, but I'm guessing it's from roughly the right time period. I don't know they were under a very yellow light or if the photo is tinted, but that's how I found it, in any case.

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to listen to this. I saw Marti and Don a half a dozen times. The first time was during a tour for Marti's first album (Unsophisticated Time, highly recommended) and they were the supporting act for Richard Thompson. Then I saw them as headliners 4-5 times throughout the 80s and 90s. This is later than my last concert with a bunch of songs I don't know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see at least one big fan of this duo here. They do seem to have a small but dedicated group of fans.

      Delete
    2. I'm a great fan both of this duo as of the solo artists.I don't know why they didn't have more succes? I hope to find more material of both!

      Delete
  2. "Jean Harlow's Return" from the '87 LP "Romeo and Juliard" is a beautiful song. But unfindable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Marti's albums, especially "Used Guitars". Many thanks to you and Lil Panda for sharing this! I think Don produced all of Marti's records, as well as cowriting and playing on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been mystified as to why Jones and Dixon didn't have more success and are barely remembered today. Sometimes there just ain't no justice. Thanks for sharing this - always glad to add anything from either of them to my collection. Two tips - the song that put Dixon on the map, as much as he ever was on it, is called Praying Mantis; the video for it is on YouTube. Also in 1988 Dixon released a live album called Chi-Town Budget Show, Jones shows up for a bit on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, more people than I thought know and like this duo. Nice.

    ReplyDelete