Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Joe Jackson - BBC Sessions, Volume 5: In Concert, Symphony Hall, Birmingham, Britain, 1-30-1995

With this post, I've had to do something I've never done before, and something I really don't want to do: I skipped over posting an album in an album series. I'm going from having posted "BBC Sessions, Volume 3" to "BBC Sessions, Volume 5," with no "Volume 4" in between. The reason is copyright violation trouble. "Volume 3" was automatically removed due to a copyright violation. The material for "Volume 4" comes from the exact same album as the material for "Volume 3," the album "At the BBC." So I figure I'd be pushing my luck if I tried to post that. Whereas nothing from this "Volume 5" album has been officially released, so I'm assuming I'll be safe with this one.

That said, I did make the "Volume 4" album, with the cover art and all. It's a short 1983 concert. I have posted it at SoulseekQT, which has different standards, so feel free to get it there.

Now, let me get to the content of this album. In 1994, Jackson released the studio album "Night Music." He was getting into classical music at the time, and it's a mix of classically inspired songs with more typical pop songs. It was not well received. If one looks at the crowd-sourced rateyourmusic.com ratings as I write this in February 2024, it has the lowest ratings of all of his albums up to that point in his career. (He would do a couple more classically influenced albums that also would not be well received.) 

So this concert is a mixture of songs from "Night Music" plus his usual assortment of popular tracks from his previous albums. However, I must say the "Night Music" songs come across better in this concert than they do on the studio album. Most are just songs that could have easily fit on his earlier albums. "Ever After" in particular is a standout. But also, there are a couple of classically inspired instrumentals, "Nocturne No. 2" and "Nocturne No.4," that are actually totally rearranged from the album versions, done just as solo piano pieces. I like them a lot better this way.

The concert recording has excellent sound quality, even though it's a bootleg. But there was a major problem: apparently the BBC cut out some songs to fit the concert into a certain time slot. Five songs were missing: "Nocturne No. 4," Nocturne No. 2," "The Other Me," "Tango Atlantico," and "Steppin' Out." I was able to find one other concert bootleg from this tour, from New York City in November 1994, to get good versions of "Nocturne No. 4," Nocturne No. 2," and "Steppin' Out." However, "The Other Me" and "Tango Atlantico" were not played at that other concert and I couldn't find any other good versions of them from that tour, so those two haven't been included. 

I suspect also that some of the banter between songs got cut out due to BBC edits. For instance, Jackson never introduced his band members, which was something he's always done. But at least some banter did survive.

By the way, "Is She Really Going Out with Him - It's Different for Girls" is an unusual case. Both those songs were early hits from him. But on this performance, he played the music to "Is She Really Going Out with Him" with the lyrics to "It's Different for Girls." Then, later in the song, he played the music to "It's Different for Girls" with the music to "Is She Really Going Out with Him!" So it's a medley, but not like you would normally expect.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any evidence of Jackson performing for the BBC after this concert. So the BBC series for him ends here, unless something else turns up.

This album is an hour and 24 minutes long.

01 Home Town (Joe Jackson)
02 Real Men (Joe Jackson)
03 talk (Joe Jackson)
04 Nocturne No. 4 [Instrumental] (Joe Jackson)
05 Is She Really Going Out with Him - It's Different for Girls (Joe Jackson)
06 Stranger than Fiction (Joe Jackson)
07 talk (Joe Jackson)
08 Sea of Secrets (Joe Jackson)
09 Nocturne No. 2 [Instrumental] (Joe Jackson)
10 talk (Joe Jackson)
11 The Man Who Wrote Danny Boy (Joe Jackson)
12 talk (Joe Jackson)
13 Ever After (Joe Jackson)
14 talk (Joe Jackson)
15 Only the Future (Joe Jackson)
16 Another World (Joe Jackson)
17 Chinatown (Joe Jackson)
18 Breaking Us in Two (Joe Jackson)
19 You Can't Get What You Want [Til You Know What You Want] (Joe Jackson)
20 Got the Time (Joe Jackson)
21 What's the Use of Getting Sober (Joe Jackson)
22 I'm the Man (Joe Jackson)
23 Steppin' Out (Joe Jackson)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16330113/JOJCKSN1995BBSessonsVlum5InConcrtSymphnyHllBrmnghmBrtin__1-30-1995_atse.zip.html

I couldn't find any good photos of Jackson in concert from 1995. I ultimately had to resort to using one from 1997, from a concert in Paris.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had no luck with SoulseekQt and Volume IV. Any suggestions? Thanks and appreciate all you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's there. I just checked, and a bunch of people have downloaded it in recent days. But the thing about SoulseekQT is that not everyone is connected to everyone else all the time. There are different sections. I might be assigned to one and you to another. But they change every, I dunno, every couple days or something like that. It might change faster if you quit the program and start it again, I don't know. But if you keep at it, eventually my files will show up.

      Delete
    2. Hello. No joy thus far, but I'll try every few days until it eventually shows up. Thanks again for your help.

      Delete
    3. It showed up today. Thanks again for your help.

      Delete
    4. Geez. Ten days. I'm surprised it took that long. But Soulseek always gets there in the end. While you're connected to my files, you should grab other stuff you're interested in. Everything is there, even the banned stuff, like the Tom P+tty.

      Delete