Sunday, July 23, 2023

Norah Jones - Theatre Antique, Vienne, France, 7-11-2023

As I write this in late July 2023, I was very pleased to find a Norah Jones concert from only about ten days ago, July 11, 2023. What caught my interest is the fact that this Paris concert was broadcast on French radio, so the sound quality is excellent.

However, I kind of regret posting this concert, because there were more problems than I anticipated. But don't worry about that, because I think I've overcome most of them and made this a good listen.

According to setlist.fm, the first four songs are missing: "Just a Little Bit," "I'm Alive," "Can You Believe," and "Something Is Calling You." That's unfortunate, but there's nothing I could do about that.

But it turns out most of the applause after each song was missing, as well as nearly all of the banter between songs. My guess is that's because there was as French DJ who talked at virtually any time there wasn't any actual music playing, in order to translate banter into French and/or make commentary. That's a pretty certain guess, because there were a few examples of that left on the recording. (I cut that out, although I was able to keep one bit of banter, track 13, after even more careful editing.) So that left me the problem of fixing the ends of nearly every song, patching in applause from other songs to make it sound like a normal crowd response each time. That turned out to be more difficult than expected, because there were only a few spots I could use of crowd noise without talking over it. Hopefully, it will sound good from the listener's perspective, even though I ended up using some crowd noise bits over and over.

Then I realized there was another problem: the bass levels were way too loud. So I had to edit each song for that, changing the mix to have less bass.

It's still unfortunate that this isn't a complete concert recording, and I'm especially annoyed about the missing banter. But the other problems have been fixed, leaving you with a professionally recorded concert from only about ten days ago at the time I post this.

This album is an hour and nine minutes long.

01 What Am I to You (Norah Jones)
02 Sunrise (Norah Jones)
03 Flame Twin (Norah Jones)
04 This Life (Norah Jones)
05 Killing Time (Norah Jones)
06 Little Broken Hearts (Norah Jones)
07 Rosie's Lullaby (Norah Jones)
08 All a Dream (Norah Jones)
09 The Nearness of You (Norah Jones)
10 Say No More (Norah Jones)
11 Come Away with Me (Norah Jones)
12 Nightingale (Norah Jones)
13 talk [Edit] (Norah Jones)
14 Don't Know Why (Norah Jones)
15 I've Got to See You Again (Norah Jones)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15488524/NorahJ_2023_TheatrAntqueViennFrnce__7-11-2023_atse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from this exact concert.

4 comments:

  1. Possibly my fav current vocalist--thanks for your efforts in providing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an unfortunate photo ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mistake
    "What caught my interest is the fact that this Paris concert "
    This concert was in Vienne a small town at the limit of Provence well known for his Roman amphitheater. Kind of a mountain winery feeling, if you prefer, nothing to do with Paris

    ReplyDelete