Saturday, July 29, 2023

Announcement: No More "Various Songs"

I've posted a lot of albums here with "Various Songs" in the title. Since I started to post some albums to YouTube lately, I decided it was time to change that. In retrospect, "Various Songs" sounds a bit silly to me. I meant that they came from various sources, but it could be argued that any collection of songs is a bunch of various songs. So instead I'm calling those "Non-Album Tracks." That's more accurate, because what I mean is those are collections of songs not on the artist's usual studio albums (though they could come from other albums, like soundtracks). 

I've also created a new link category called "Non-Album Tracks" if you want to search just for those. And while I was at it, I also created the categories of "Alternate Version" for when I've created my own versions of studio albums, and "Expanded Version," for when I've expanded EPs or other short collections. Oh, and I also added the category of "Non-BBC Radio Show," since those are something different than studio tracks or concert tracks. I'm keeping that one only for radio station studio sessions, not concerts in front of audiences, by the way.

By the way, I'm continuing to slowly but surely post more music to YouTube. I have about 100 albums there as I write this. I'm amazed at how many more people seem to listen to music there than here, even though this is where one can easily get mp3 downloads of all the albums. Oh well. I hope at least some people will get interested enough to come here where they can find over 2,000 albums instead of just 100. 

It's also frustrating in that many albums can't be posted at YouTube due to copyright issues, and even ones that are approved at first can be taken down at any time. For instance, I posted a David Bowie BBC album that got the copyright okay a week ago, only to have it taken down today. But on the positive side, I haven't had any new copyright problems at this blog for the past couple of weeks, so maybe that flurry of five albums that got hidden a couple of weeks ago was a fluke. Knock on wood.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah mp3s are practically stone age technology to the kids these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YouTube is a great 'advertising' medium. Many people use it to promote other projects like websites, books, blogs or podcasts.
    It's a great way to shine a light on this blog, whether that be good or bad!

    Indeed, a generation of streamers is indicative of a change in music listening modalities. They subscribe to a service, never actually owning anything. Convenience over quality.

    More mature listeners are going the other way. Wanting to own copies of not just mp3's but higher depth like Flac.
    Quality and quantity is key. Websites such as Super Deluxe albums and Neil Youngs Archives highlights this audience and it's tastes.

    It comes down to audience as well as advertising as well as monetiseation.

    So YouTube clicks are the advertising fees.
    On blogs like SuoerDeluxe, they have links to third party sellers and they get a commission for those clicks.

    So, Paul, what I'm saying is YouTube might well cast other algorithmic eyes to this blog...the only thing you are interested in is music as are your supporters.

    The other eyes might see things very differently....




    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there plans to post things on Youtube that aren't available on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in the very rare case of something being allowed there but not here, due to copyright issues. But let's hope that never happens.

      Delete