Monday, February 14, 2022

Tom Jones - BBC Sessions, Volume 3: 1967-1968

Here is the third and last of Tom Jones's "BBC Sessions" albums. However, I'm far from done with him. He had a British TV show from 1969 to 1971 where he seemingly sang duets with every famous musician on the planet at the time. I'm planning to post no less than six albums of that material.

As I mentioned in previous volumes in this series, Jones started out as a rock and soul singer, but switched more to ballads when he started having huge hits with them in late 1966. The volume definitely has a few ballads, but it still is more tilted towards rock and soul, like "Land of a 1000 Dances" and "Don't Fight It." I suppose those still were the kinds of songs he wanted to sing when he wasn't promoting his latest A-side singles.

Like the previous volumes, everything here is officially unreleased. However, the main bootleg source I used ended right at the end of 1967. I know he did some more BBC sessions in 1968. I've found mention of four sessions, which would mean at least a couple songs for each. But it seems all of those were lost to time. (If anyone has any of those, please let me know.) To make up for that, the last two songs are from 1968 appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show," including his biggest 1968 hit, "Delilah."

As far as I can tell, he didn't do any BBC sessions in 1969 or after. Presumably, he had his hands full with his TV show (on a rival British station). 

The sound quality is excellent throughout, though maybe a bit lower on the duet with Dusty Springfield, which comes from her TV show at the time instead of a proper BBC session. Note though the songs with "[Edit]" in their titles. As usual, this means BBC DJs talking over the music, and as usual, I fixed that with the audio editing software X-Minus.

This album is 46 minutes long.

01 Big Boss Man [Edit] (Tom Jones)
02 My Prayer [Edit] (Tom Jones)
03 Money Honey [Edit] (Tom Jones)
04 Trying to Find My Baby (Tom Jones)
05 Sea of Heartbreak [Edit] (Tom Jones)
06 I'll Never Fall in Love Again (Tom Jones)
07 Land of a Thousand Dances (Tom Jones)
08 Baby, Baby, Baby (Dusty Springfield & Tom Jones)
09 I Can't Stop Loving You [Edit] (Tom Jones)
10 Sixteen Tons [Edit] (Tom Jones)
11 Ain't That Good News (Tom Jones)
12 I'm Coming Home (Tom Jones)
13 Don't Fight It [Edit] (Tom Jones)
14 Danny Boy (Tom Jones)
15 Delilah (Tom Jones)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15960956/TomJns_1967-1968_BBSessionsVolume3_atse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from a TV special filmed in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1967.

1 comment: