Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Mary Hopkin - No Love Is Sorrow - Non-Album Tracks (1970-1971)

This is the second in a series of four stray tracks albums for Mary Hopkin. I have many albums to post from many musicians. But I'm prioritizing this so I can then get to posting a couple of BBC albums from her.

Hopkin's time of commercial success was short. Her fortunes fell during the time period of this album. The first song, "Knock, Knock, Who's There," was a big hit, thanks to being chosen as the British entry in the 1970 Eurovision contest. It came in second in that contest, and reached number two on the British charts. But she hated the song, and hated singing it.

After that, I think her fortunes fell mainly because she began disengaging from the hit-making process of the music industry. Two more songs here were A-sides, "Think about Your Children" and "Let My Name Be Sorrow," but neither of those had much success. Tracks 2, 4, 6, and 7 were B-sides.  The rest of the songs weren't released at the time, but have come out as bonus tracks or on archival albums much later. In my opinion they're all good songs, and there's no reason they shouldn't have been released at the time, probably as part of a 1971 album. But like I said she was withdrawing from the music industry, and part of that was that she didn't release any album that year. This process would continue with her essentially retiring from her music career in 1972, and then keeping a very low profile after that.

This album is 39 minutes long.

01 Knock, Knock, Who's There (Mary Hopkin)
02 I'm Going to Fall in Love Again (Mary Hopkin)
03 Think about Your Children (Mary Hopkin)
04 Heritage (Mary Hopkin)
05 Let My Name Be Sorrow (Mary Hopkin)
06 Kew Gardens (Mary Hopkin)
07 Jefferson (Mary Hopkin)
08 Sometimes It's Not Enough [When You Use Only Words] (Mary Hopkin)
09 No Love Is Sorrow (Mary Hopkin)
10 When I Am Old One Day (Mary Hopkin)
11 With You or Without You (Mary Hopkin)
12 A Leaf Must Fall (Mary Hopkin)
13 The Last Thing on My Mind (Mary Hopkin) 

https://www.upload.ee/files/15121648/MaryHop_1970-1971_NoLoveIsSorrw_atse.zip.html

I don't know any details about when or where the cover photo was taken. But just based on her appearance, I would guess it's from around this time period, when she was quite young.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! It's there any more left of her late 60's and early 70's material? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Two more stray tracks albums (going to the 1980s) and two BBC sessions coming.

      Delete