Friday, February 18, 2022

Marmalade - If I Call Your Name - Non-Album Tracks (1971)

I'm continuing to post a series of stray tracks albums from the band Marmalade. I'm trying to post all the BBC stuff I can, and once I finish posting the stray tracks albums, I'll post their BBC albums. This is the four of five albums in this series.

As I mentioned previously, Marmalade gets a bad reputation for being a light weight pop group known mainly for their cover of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by the Beatles. All the songs here are from 1971, and by that time, the band had changed significantly. The band still had a foot in the pop world, with three top 40 hits in Britain here, "My Little One," "Cousin Norman," and "Back on the Road." But they also started to get heavier and more progressive. For instance, "Can You Help Me" is eight and a half minutes long. 

In my opinion, by this time, the band had hit their stride. All the songs here are originals, and the band had established a style where they could rock but they also could do more acoustic stuff with great harmony vocals. Unfortunately, it wouldn't last. The band had two key members who sang, Dean Ford and Junior Campbell. Near the end of this year, Campbell decided to leave a try for a solo career. He's on most or all of the Marmalade songs here, but I've also included two of his solo songs.

Note that I haven't included all the songs the band did, only the ones I like. Six of the songs come from their 1971 album "Songs." The rest come from singles, except for "Can You Help Me," which was unreleased at the time and came out much later on an archival album.

This album is 47 minutes long.

01 My Little One (Marmalade)
02 Cousin Norman (Marmalade)
03 Can You Help Me (Marmalade)
04 Goodbye Baby Jane (Junior Campbell)
05 If I Call Your Name (Junior Campbell)
06 Back on the Road (Marmalade)
07 Love Is Hard to Rearrange (Marmalade)
08 Sarah (Marmalade)
09 Mama (Marmalade)
10 Empty Bottles (Marmalade)
11 I've Been Around Too Long (Marmalade)
12 She Wrote Me a Letter (Marmalade)
13 Ride Boy Ride (Marmalade)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15264350/Marmld_1971_IfICllYourNme_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is said to be from 1970. But I liked it better than any of the few ones I could find from 1971. For most of the year, the band personnel was the same.

1 comment: