Monday, February 14, 2022

Deep Purple - BBC Sessions, Volume 6: In Concert, Paris Theatre, London, Britain, 3-9-1972

Here's the sixth and possibly last album of Deep Purple playing for the BBC. (Regarding that "possibly last" comment, see below.) 

This is an entire concert broadcast live for the BBC. However, it's only an hour and 15 minutes long, shorter than their usual concerts at the time, probably due to BBC time limits. Most of the comments between songs are done by a BBC DJ. This time it's Mike Harding instead of the usual John Peel, since Peel soured on the band by this time, finding their music too loud and heavy. 

This concert took place a few weeks before the release of the band's classic album "Machine Head." The songs from that album were fresh in their mind. So this was one of only two times the songs "Maybe I'm a Leo" and "Never Before" were played by the original Mark II version of the band. They also closed with a rare cover of the 1950s classic "Lucille."

I mentioned above that this might be the last in this series. The "might" is because I know of a 1974 concert the band played for the BBC. However, that's with the Mark III version of the band. I'm much more of a Mark II fan. It also has been officially released in full. But if people here express interest, I could post that too. (That 1974 concert seems to be the last BBC recording before the band broke up for eight years, starting in 1976.) 

In my opinion, 1972 is when the band was at its peak, both in terms of songwriting and in terms of instrumental prowess. So if you listen to just one of these BBC albums from them, I'm recommend this one.

01 talk (Deep Purple)
02 Highway Star (Deep Purple)
03 talk (Deep Purple)
04 Strange Kind of Woman (Deep Purple)
05 talk (Deep Purple)
06 Maybe I'm a Leo (Deep Purple)
07 talk (Deep Purple)
08 Never Before (Deep Purple)
09 talk (Deep Purple)
10 Lazy (Deep Purple)
11 talk (Deep Purple)
12 Space Truckin' (Deep Purple)
13 talk (Deep Purple)
14 Smoke on the Water (Deep Purple)
15 talk (Deep Purple)
16 Lucille (Deep Purple)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15109509/DeepP_1972_BBSessionsVolume6InConcertParisTheatre__3-9-1972_atse.zip.html

The cover photo shows the band playing a concert in Copenhagen in March 1972. You can only see a couple of the band members, but I like how it showed some of the crowd as well.

11 comments:

  1. Love your site, and have enjoyed many of your projects! I apologize if this is the wrong spot for this question, but: there's a video with excerpts from Amon Duul II's rare soundtrack for the film SAN DOMINGO (on Vimeo), but it has TONS of motorcycle noise because the film was apparently about biker gangs...which program do you think would be better at removing sounds like that? Spleeter or X-Minus? Or is it impossible? Thanks and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you point me to the exact web link? I can listen to a sample and then tell you.

      Delete
    2. I gave part of that a listen. Unfortunately, I think you're screwed. These programs are mainly good at separating vocals from instruments, plus Spleeter separates some instruments from each other. They won't know what to do with motorcycle noise, and will keep it lumped in with other instruments. I've encountered this kind of thing before, and I don't think that will get separated out at all. :( Unless maybe you try a stronger program, like one of the non-free ones. Even then, I don't know.

      Delete
    3. I was afraid of that. Thanks for taking a look, very kind of you!
      Maybe someday...Hey I know, we should send it to Peter Jackson!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this one. Hope you'll make the one for MKIII as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying this, thank you, but I think this was released. https://www.discogs.com/release/9114005-Deep-Purple-In-Concert-72

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm aware. I should mention that. I'm posting it anywhere in order to have all their BBC stuff here.

      Delete
  4. I hope you do the MKIII BBC concert. Thanks for all the Deep Purple, one of my favorite groups in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for your work - and yes, please post the Mark III concert from 1974.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. If you could upload the 74 concert, that would be great.

    ReplyDelete