Friday, February 18, 2022

Simon & Garfunkel - Twien TV Show, Taverne De Waag, Haarlem, Netherlands, 6-29-1966

Now that I've posted Simon and Garfunkel's BBC sessions from 1965, I want to post some other performances they did, mostly from TV shows. There are a number of times where they played live on TV, but just did the same songs you've heard a million times before, like "The Sound of Silence" and "Homeward Bound." Instead, I'm focusing on a smaller number of longer shows where they were able to play some of their more uncommon songs. Since there's a lot of bootlegs of their music, I'm able to select just the ones with great sound quality.

The first two songs here actually from another TV appearance, the "Mike Douglas Show" in January 1966. They played three songs. I've skipped one, because it's "The Sound of Silence," which they did many times elsewhere. But the other two are notable as songs they rarely played. In fact, I'd guess this is the only time they ever did this cover of Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man." Perhaps the TV producers asked them to do it. Too bad it's a short version, only two minutes long.

Everything else comes from Dutch TV show. You can find it on YouTube if you want to see it and not just hear it. Unfortunately, it's only in black and white, and the visual quality isn't that good. But the sound quality here is very good for the era. None of the songs from it are super rare, but it's one of the best bootleg recordings of them from 1966, if not the best. Also, they talk a fair amount between songs.

The one snag is that this show was rather short, at only 23 minutes long. Even with the two extra songs at the front, this is only 27 minutes long. I considered adding in other extra songs, but I didn't see anything else worthy of fitting.

01 You Can Tell the World (Simon & Garfunkel)
02 Mr. Tambourine Man (Simon & Garfunkel)
03 Anji [Instrumental] (Simon & Garfunkel)
04 Richard Cory (Simon & Garfunkel)
05 talk (Simon & Garfunkel)
06 Homeward Bound (Simon & Garfunkel)
08 talk (Simon & Garfunkel)
07 Leaves That Are Green (Simon & Garfunkel)
10 talk (Simon & Garfunkel)
09 I Am a Rock (Simon & Garfunkel)
11 A Most Peculiar Man (Simon & Garfunkel)
12 talk (Simon & Garfunkel)
13 A Poem on the Underground Wall (Simon & Garfunkel)
14 He Was My Brother (Simon & Garfunkel)
15 talk (Simon & Garfunkel)
16 The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)

https://www.imagenetz.de/c9t3f

I don't know any details on where or when the cover photo is from, but the time period looks to be about right.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for all thge wonderful uploads (and all the work you put into it!!) Highly appreciated. One tiny remark about this Simon & Garfunkel upload; the TV programme was called Twen, so without the i (I'm Dutch so I happen to know this...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you explain more about that? What does Twen mean, and what does Twien mean (if anything)?

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul, as far as I know "Twien" doesn't mean anything (at least not in Dutch) Twen is someone who is in his 20's. So I guess this TV programme focused more on viewers who were no longer teenagers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I've updated the name. I hope you're right, cos all other mentions of this show have it spelled the other way. I also found out the name of the specific venue and added that.

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid you have to change the programme's name back to 'Twien' after all: see the dedicated page of the Dutch picture & sound/TV & radio archive @ https://wiki.beeldengeluid.nl/index.php/Twien , for instance. As it turns out, the show's target audience included both teenagers (called 'tieners' in Dutch) AND twens, hence the rather clumsy (but no doubt cutting-edge in mid-sixties Holland) moniker.

    Thanks for the album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Looks like that link has an actual photo with the spelling that way, so you're right. I'll change it back. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I've changed it again. I don't mind changing this twice, because I appreciate people trying to get the details right. I'm a stickler for accuracy.

      Delete