Saturday, March 6, 2021

The Animals - BBC Sessions, Volume 2: 1965-1966

Here's the second of four albums of the Animals performing at the BBC. 

Most of what I have to say is a repeat of what I said for the first volume in this series, but I'll repeat the main points anyway. Surprisingly, nothing the Animals ever did for the BBC has been officially released, so all of this comes from bootlegs. Even so, the song quality is generally very good, though it varies sometimes.

As usual with 1960s BBC recordings, the BBC DJs sometimes spoke over the starts or ends of songs. Also as usual, I've tried my best to remove this talking from the songs with sound editing, usually thanks to the fact that intros are often repeated later in songs. Thankfully, I didn't have to do this very much on this volume, because the Animals did a lot of BBC sessions in 1965 and 1966. I was often able to find a version without talking. For instance, I think I literally had five or more versions of "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" to choose from. (It goes without saying that I've only included one version of each song, as I usually do for albums like these.) Thus, I only had to do edits for three of the songs. 

"Lucille" also has the "[Edit]" mark on it. But that's because there were some sound glitches in the middle of the song, not talking DJs. I was pretty much able to repair the problem though, so you shouldn't notice it.

As I mentioned for the previous volume, a year or two ago, I made an album of songs the Animals performed for the BBC but didn't put on album. I plan on updating that eventually, since I found some new songs and better versions of other songs. One example of a really rare song on this volume that I'd previously missed is "We're Gonna Howl Tonight." That's the one song here that wasn't done for the BBC at all. Instead, it was performed on a US TV special called "The Dangerous Christmas of Red Riding Hood."

01 We Gotta Get Out of This Place (Animals)
02 Squeeze Her, Tease Her [But Love Her] (Animals)
03 Work Song [Edit] (Animals)
04 Heartbreak Hotel (Animals)
05 Let the Good Times Roll (Animals)
06 Club A-Go-Go (Animals)
07 We're Gonna Howl Tonight (Animals)
08 Bright Lights, Big City (Animals)
09 I'm Gonna Change the World (Animals)
10 Lucille [Edit] (Animals)
11 Baby What's Wrong [Edit] (Animals)
12 Rosie (Animals)
13 I Can't Believe It [Edit] (Animals)
14 It's My Life (Animals)
15 Corrina, Corrina (Animals)
16 Maudie (Animals)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15123988/TAnimls_1965-1966_BBSessionsVolume2_atse.zip.html

The album cover photo comes from an appearance the band did on the TV show "Ready Steady Go" in 1965.

3 comments: