Saturday, March 6, 2021

Jefferson Airplane - The Other Side of This Life - Non-Album Tracks (1967)

I just posted a Jefferson Airplane stray tracks album dealing with the years 1962 to 1966, called "High Flying Bird." This continues from that, dealing with the year 1967. Together, these two albums expand upon and replace a stray tracks album I'd posted a year or two ago that had the same "High Flying Bird" title and cover art. I'm deleting that previous version now.

The band's 1967 album "Surrealistic Pillow" is a classic. Most of the songs here are outtakes from that album. The band was peaking creatively, so it's not too surprising that the outtakes are solid too. In my opinion, had this album been released, it would hold up with their other 1960s albums. Most of the songs are originals, though "The Fat Angel" is a Donovan song, "The Other Side of This Life" is a Fred Neil song, and "In the Midnight Hour" was a hit for Wilson Pickett. 

The last song is an outtake from their next album, "After Bathing at Baxter's" released near the end of 1967. Surprisingly, there aren't really any good stray tracks from 1968, though there are some weird studio experiments a la the Beatles' "Revolution 9."

All the songs here are officially released except for "The Fat Angel," "Leave You Alone," "The Other Side of This Life," and "In the Midnight Hour." But those are from soundboard bootlegs, so the sound quality is generally excellent. "Leave You Alone" seems to be a Marty Balin original. I'm surprised it hasn't been released, since it's a fine song. The sound quality is little bit poorer on that one.

This album is 47 minutes long.

UPDATE: On June 2, 2023, I updated the mp3 download file. I added the song "In the Midnight Hour." And I replaced a version of "The Fat Angel" from 1966 with one from 1967.

01 The Fat Angel (Jefferson Airplane)
02 In the Morning (Jefferson Airplane)
03 J. P. P. McStep B. Blues (Jefferson Airplane)
04 In the Midnight Hour (Jefferson Airplane)
05 Come Back Baby (Jefferson Airplane)
06 Don't Let Me Down (Jefferson Airplane)
07 Leave You Alone (Jefferson Airplane)
08 The Other Side of This Life (Jefferson Airplane)
09 Things Are Better in the East (Jefferson Airplane)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15301591/JeffersonA_1967_TheOthrSideofThisLife_atse.zip.html

The cover art is based on a 1966 concert poster from when the band played the Fillmore in San Francisco. I made three big changes to it. First, I had to crop a lot of it out, to get a rectangular poster shape to fit into the square album shape. Second, I replaced some text at the bottom, which I believe was the name of one of the support acts, with the album title. Third, the band name and the woman in the middle were colored a boring shade of brown. I changed that to a blue that I liked better.

3 comments:

  1. Songs of the great Airplane are always welcome to me.
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. McStep B. Blues was written by Skip Spence ?!

    ReplyDelete