Sunday, March 14, 2021

Sam Phillips - These Boots Are Made for Walkin' - Non-Album Tracks (1992-1998)

I'm a really big fan of Sam Phillips, especially her poppy phase with the albums "The Indescribable Wow" (1998), "Cruel Inventions" (1992), and "Martinis and Bikinis" (1994). In particular, I consider "Martinis and Bikinis" a five-star album and a must have for anyone into Beatlesque pop. This album is a stray tracks collection that largely overlaps with that period. I suggest you get those three albums first, if you don't have them already. Then try this if you want more in that same vein.

I'm especially pleased to share the song "Fantasy Is Reality-Bells of Madness." I got this from my musical friend Lil Panda. It's an unreleased song cowritten by Phillips and the legendary Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. A version of the song came out on Rob Wasserman's 1998 album "Trios," performed by Wasserman, Brian Wilson, and Wilson's daughter Carrie. But this is a different version, sung mainly by Phillips with some very Beach Boys-eqsue backing by Brian Wilson.

This isn't one of my typical stray tracks albums, because a bunch of the songs come from one of Phillips' studio albums. After the three great albums I mentioned above, she put out the album "Omnipop (It's Only a Flesh Wound Lambchop)" in 1996. As you can tell from the album title alone, it's a strange, experimental album. I suspect she got bored of her poppy style and wanted to try something new. After that album, she would wait five years then release an album in a different and much more subdued style, 2001's "Fan Dance." She's kept to that style ever since. Anyway, I consider "Omnipop" to be very hit or miss. So I've put only the ones I like on this album.

The last two songs are from "Zero Zero Zero," a kind of best of from her poppy period, before saying goodbye to that and having her change of musical direction. 

I believe all the songs are originals except for "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" and "My Heart Belongs to Daddy." The latter is unreleased and sounds a little bit rougher than the rest, but only marginally so.

01 It's Not Too Late (Sam Phillips)
02 Fantasy Is Reality-Bells of Madness (Sam Phillips with Brian Wilson)
03 You Lost My Mind (Sam Phillips)
04 These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (Sam Phillips)
05 My Heart Belongs to Daddy (Sam Phillips)
06 Entertainmen (Sam Phillips)
07 Animals on Wheels (Sam Phillips)
08 Zero Zero Zero (Sam Phillips)
09 Power World (Sam Phillips)
10 Faster Pussycat to the Library (Sam Phillips)
11 Slapstick Heart (Sam Phillips)
12 Disappearing Act (Sam Phillips)
13 Holding On to the Earth [New Version] (Sam Phillips)

https://www.imagenetz.de/bx7a6

I'm not sure where I got the cover art photo from. But it appears to be from the right time period.

2 comments:

  1. CooL!! I have liked her stuff ever since I the first time heard 'The Indescribable Wow' back when it came out. Thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete